1991 GP hail damage

chevelle3504speed

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix hail damage economically? I have a very straight (or was very straight), original blue '91 GTP 5 speed that got hammered in a hail storm, and it just kills me. I can't justify spending nearly $3,000 to repair the damage. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

It can be done with a torch. You use low heat and circle around the dent in a somewhat spiraling motion towards the center. It should pop back out. Careful not to burn the paint. A hairdryer could work, I suppose. But I've never heard of it done that way.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will post some pictures of the damage when I can. The $3,000 was a quote for the paintless repair. Traditional repair (filler and repaint) was $3,700. I will try a blow drier an then a torch if the blow drier doesn't work. I'm a little concerned about burning the paint with the torch though. Also, do you heat it on from the top side (i.e. painted side) or the bottom side?

Top side. you only need to warm it up good. Don't turn it up very high, and keep a good distance. Google search the procedure first. I am sure there are youtube videos out there on how to do it.

Indeed we would! I've looked around on Google and youtube. I've seen guys using crazy things including bicycle tire pumps, popcorn, and the heat/compressed air combination to pop dents back out. I've got probably 100 dents at least so this would be quite time consuming. I'll give the heat/compressed air combination a go at some point and see what happens.