Sub Frames - Are They All The Same?

ILoveSun

they should be seeing how they are all w-body, i can see variances betwwen generations, especially with the new epsilion (not sure how its spelled) w-body because it was a refeshed w-body. i even heard that in older generations the caddy subframe with the northstar bolted up, at least in the 1.5 gens. The Lumina is a 1.5 gen and the cutlass didnt make it past the first gen as a w-body, it did however end up on the Malibus platform. search parts sites or ebay for subframes and cross reference part numbers from generation and models and see what you get.

The front subframes early "gen 2" cars (GP, Intrigue, Regal) are way different that those of the later "gen 2.5" cars (Impala and Monte Carlo). I'm not sure about rear subframes, but I imagine they are different as there isn't very much similar between the 2 and 2.5 cars.

Hold on a second!!!

Regarding front subframes:

A 00-05 impala subframe can be substituted for one in a 97-03 GP. Seen it done and then some. the Impala frame is aluminum. It is lighter and offers more rigidity that the steel GP frame. same control arms, same power steering line (mounts to frame), I think the same frame bolts, and possibly the same frame to body bushings.

Additionally, the member I worked on this with also wanted to do this to his 02ish montana, but that had AWD, so the frame needed modified as only AWD models have to clear the drivehshaft.

I am in the VERY early stages of seeing how feasible it would be to fab custom f & r subframes to accept GM V8s and rear drive. I know the tunnel would probably have to be modified, but if the subframes interchange between vehicles then I can spread the cost over more applications and offer them to people that are interested in the conversion.

Oh, I have a 94 Cutlass vert, so that's a 1st gen and not a second? If so, then what vehicles share my subframes?

Greg

B ----------

CUTLASS 91 Front; 6-207 (3.4L)

CUTLASS 92-96 Front

CUTLASS 97 Front; Supreme

GRAND PRIX 91 Front; 6-207 (3.4L)

GRAND PRIX 92-96 Front

LUMINA CAR 91 Front; 6-207 (3.4L)

LUMINA CAR 92-97 Front

LUMINA CAR 98-99 Front; w/o taxi 9C6

LUMINA CAR 00-01 Front

MONTE CARLO 95-99 Front

REGAL 91 Front; 6-191 (3.1L), from VIN 800001

REGAL 92-96 Front; 6-191 (3.1L)

Where did you get this information?

I got a buddy who worked at a gm dealership. We were in the auto body program together, i'll shoot him a text and see what info he got on that.