OK...I need an answer to this ASAP!

gmrulz4u

This is in regards to my last few posts about scanning my 89 Supreme with my AutoXray. I'm trying to figure out WHY the hell my ECM is showing that the A/C has been "Requested" and my A/C Clutch is going "ON" when all I'm doing is turning my Heat ON??

Is this SUPPOSED to occur??

I noticed that as SOON as I turn my Electronic Climate Control, my A/C Clutch goes "ON", and it says that the A/C has been "Requested", it does this no matter what! Even if I have the Electronic Climate Control set to 90 Degrees(HEAT)!!!???

I read on a few other message boards that our ECM's are REALLY bad for going crazy and turning various relays and A/C components on for no reason...

This is a quote from someone responding to another 89 Supreme problem:

"That particular ECM is a real piece of crap, it was made long before

GM even started to learn how to solder surface mount parts. Usually if

you let the car idle and give the ECM a few sharp raps the car will

stumble or you will hear relays (or the A/C clutch) click on and off

for no reason. If not a scanner almost always shows some data

corruption. If so replace it, preferably with a GM ECM (not that much

more) and not some black painted reman that has somebody elses

problem. Don't even bother trying to fix it, it most likely has some

solder joint that is loosing contact that you will never find unless

you strip the epoxy off and reflow the board."

CAN ANYONE ASSURE ME THAT THIS IS NORMAL? OR DO I HAVE A PROBLEM HERE?

PS This whole thing might explain why the hell my engine is under such a load when my heat is on, and my voltage is dropping more than it should!

In my 91 Z34, the AC turns on when I use the Defrost, Blend, Heat, and of couse, the AC. In the winter, the AC is used with the heater to remove the water from the air and windows.

The Vent button doesn't use the AC on my car.

This is in regards to my last few posts about scanning my 89 Supreme with my AutoXray. I'm trying to figure out WHY the hell my ECM is showing that the A/C has been "Requested" and my A/C Clutch is going "ON" when all I'm doing is turning my Heat ON??

Is this SUPPOSED to occur??

Yes, that's normal. A/C clutch relay can engage on defrost and with a couple of other heat settings (don't remembeR) in order to dehumidify the air that's blowing..

From the numbers you posted it looks like your cutty is doing fine.

How many miles are on your car?

Dont worry. This is the only gripe I have with the electronic climate control, that it ALWAYS runs the compressor. There's no "economy" setting. I thought my controller was broken or I wired something wrong when I removed the manual climate control and put the digital one in...Oh well, I can show you how to make a simple kill switch if you're interested...

Dont worry. This is the only gripe I have with the electronic climate control, that it ALWAYS runs the compressor. There's no "economy" setting. I thought my controller was broken or I wired something wrong when I removed the manual climate control and put the digital one in...Oh well, I can show you how to make a simple kill switch if you're interested...

I don't know about the Olds, but the VENT setting in my Z34 doesn't use the AC. Must of the others settings do though.

Dont worry. This is the only gripe I have with the ELECTRONIC CLIMATE CONTROL, that it ALWAYS runs the compressor. There's no "economy" setting. I thought my controller was broken or I wired something wrong when I removed the manual climate control and put the digital one in...Oh well, I can show you how to make a simple kill switch if you're interested