90 tgp engine rebuild

jffocused

buddy of mine is coming to help me with this rebuild looking for parts, we are putting a crank rod bearings and main bearings with a new oil pump, still looking around for the CORRECT oil pump all the ones im finding are the mellings standard oil pump for the 3.1litre doesnt say high volume anywhere and i know the tgp are high volume oil pumps...as for the crank, is it the same as the standard 3.1 or is it different any help guys?

the oil pump probably aint even bad. when you remove the pick up tube to put on the new one it gets loose and you have to weld it on unless you do the freezer method. but the cranks are all cast nodular iron and not steel like the 3500 7484 cranks but you have to go external crank trigger then.

ok thanks whats the best crank to get and do i need the crank with the reluctor ring on it? looking at advance auto "crankshaft rebuilders" or napa and is the premium cut cranks any good?

depends on how much power you want to throw at it. I have always used the stock crank. but haven't gone over 400 horse yet. I guess they will start to twist and flex much above that power level.

you need a crank trigger, so unless you press on your old one or buy one with the ring, it won't work.

you should be able to find a high volume pump though.

go to rockauto. $111.79 sealed power high volume.

Marshall crankshaft with chamfered oil holes and all bearings for $208.79. saw that too.

It's a melling M95HV,should be available at any chain parts store.

As I think was already mentioned,just check for clearances and wear and reuse it if you want.

The specs are in the manual.

Keep and machine your crank if you can,it is nitrided and can be turned .010 without affecting it and oversize bearings are available.

depends on how much power you want to throw at it. I have always used the stock crank. but haven't gone over 400 horse yet. I guess they will start to twist and flex much above that power level.

you need a crank trigger, so unless you press on your old one or buy one with the ring, it won't work.

you should be able to find a high volume pump though.

so the n/a crank and the tgp crank from what i seen are all the same then and should work in my car because i can order the crank through napa and it has the reluctor ring on it already for 220 with a year warrenty which is good for a crank but thats for a n/a 3.1 will this crank work.... here is the link http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=STD12800_0362570281

i only have 1 day to tear down and rebuild since my friend isletting me use his garage im keeping the crank for next time after i take it to a machine shop but for now i gotta get a replacement

i only have 1 day to tear down and rebuild since my friend isletting me use his garage im keeping the crank for next time after i take it to a machine shop but for now i gotta get a replacement

yeah i gotta swap out the oil pump drive gear...but that reluctor ring sucks...its gonna make my ignition timing 1 1/2 degree advanced...maybe i can compensate for it with a tune

Is it? how you figuring all this out? you can tune the timing, I have changed timing in the chip before. not that I know what I am really doing yet.

you know how to tune the timing?

some people are saying it is some arent but the part numbers at part stores all match guess its all hear say right now but im trying to be positive and yeah buddy of mine in virginia dyno tunes my car with the chip burner big 60 trim turbo being untuned from the previous owner this is what happenes, but yeah there was a post on tgp forums saying it was but then there was a guy that actually rebuilt his engine saying it was the same so im gonna call gm and confirm today to find out 100% if its the same or not but either way the car has to be retuned...but i will not give up on my tgp trying to get it done asap so i can get it painted and new wheels

I need to get to work comparing timing graphs and finding out what to look for. also how to datalog timing info and interpret it. going to browse around with tunerpro hooked up to the red tgp soon and try to bring up some data. I am sure I will be on here soon with a bunch of questions about it.

so the only mod is the turbo?