02 GT W/Bose want to add sub and amp

jsnyder49090

I just bought a clean 02 GT sedan it has the bose system. i bought a sony XDP-MU110 for my bonneville( without bose) and wanted to know if i could use this system with the bose? i want to add sub and amps to factory system.What would be the cheapest way to upgrade the bose if at all??

Edited by jsnyder49090

I'm unfamiliar with the PN you listed, but you should be able to splice into the rear speaker wires with a line-out converter for signal, either run a remote wire or use the power antenna trigger for turn-on, and hook up your amp that way. Then you could control sub volume by fading front/back, or run a gain control remote knob (if your amp offers one) for sub volume.

• 4 weeks later...

So you want to use the Sony head unit with your GT and install some subs? If you use the Sony, you're going to lose quality from your speakers. The biggest thing about Bose systems is their synergy--1+1+1=5, that is. Bose systems are designed for each cars specific acoustic signature, all the bends, plastic, and window angles. Basically it sounds as good as it can already. If you want more bass, a sub will do it. You can use a line-out converter to get signal to your sub's amp. You've got to watch what wires you splice into, though, because all Bose speakers are amplified; you don't want to splice into the already amplified signal. Not only will it overloaded your sub amp, but it will affect the SQ of your rear speakers. Every Bose system is different, so it can be hard to find the right wires to splice into.

So my recommendation is to keep the original radio, and splice a line-out converter into your rear speakers wires for signal for the sub amp. And if you don't have a power antenna for the amp turn-on lead, run a wire from an accessory in the fuse box, or make your own switch. :showoff:

I'm not sure I understand how the use of an aftermarket head unit will necessarily affect the sound quality of the speakers that are already in the car. The 2002 Grand Prix Bose system uses an external amplifier that processes a speaker level output signal from the Delco head unit. A Sony head unit will produce the same speaker level output and bandpass as the Delco model will.

If you use an aftermarket radio, you're going to be sending an already amplified signal to the Bose amplifiers. Your speakers are going to sound loud at a low volume on your radio, and when you turn it up, you're going to run into a lot of audible distortion. The Sony radio puts out an amplified signal, something like 15 RMS per channel. The Bose puts out an unamplified signal, which is a much, much lower wattage. When the Bose amps take in the signal from the Sony, it's going to overload the amplifiers. I have done installs for friends with amplified speaker systems. I installed a Sony headunit into a 2002 Kia Optima and was unaware of the amplifiers. The first thing that happened was no sound, because the amps didn't get a turn on signal from the Sony. So after I found the purple/pink 12V lead for the factory amps, I hooked it up. At 9 volume on the Sony, the speakers were loud and distorted. What I ended up doing was making a custom RCA cable to run out of the Sony's pre-outputs and into the factory harness. That way, I could send an unamplified signal to the factory amplifiers. I didn't recommend it, but my friend wanted the Sony. It turned out okay, but it didn't sound as good as the original.

There are a lot of ways to go about it, but for your situation, I'd keep the original radio and run a line-out converter. I think you will be satisfied.