Need new front speakers for the Silverado

AL

This probably should be in other cars but I need the audio peoples brains

First thing, I know NOTHING about car audio but I do know that the front speakers in my truck are shot, they buzz and rattle and I just drive with the radio off because of it... I am looking for long term reliability and OE sound, I dont want to downgrade but I also have no reason to upgrade as I am only replacing these two... I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars either as I drive the truck maybe once a week... I did some browsing on Crutchfield and looked at the 3 they had for 49.99, alot of people said they werent good for long term and had less than adequate highs and lows (I think I know what that means) so I am hoping that someone can help me out, they are 6 1/2 in. speakers from what I read

Vehicle: 99 Silverado z71, non Bose

Best thing I can recommend is to go somewhere where you can listen to a lot of different speakers to decide what you like. Different people have different tastes. Try going to Best Buy and listening to their speaker wall. Then go home and buy the ones you like online.

I replaced the same speakers in the same truck for the same reason.

I used junkyard found stock speakers that in my testing of a plethora of speakers were the second highest in build and audio quality I found, but worked better when used in a vehicle they were not tuned for.

I removed the door panels and took the truck's speakers and separated them from the plastic plate that locks them down, soldered/spliced the pigtail that went to those speakers to the donor speakers and stuck the donors behind the plate such that the plate holds them down. The donors are slightly smaller that the stocks, but I recall I did nothing else to secure them and the don't rattle and sound fine. You could use some 3M mounting tape to make them more secure if you choose.

As for the donors, I've recommended using the 5" round stock speakers from an H body that has "concert surround", as they are much better made and sound better (clearer sound, not loudness, you can turn the volume up!) they are the same speakers I have retrofitted into several cars, they are the mid 90's H-body concert surround speakers, the round 5"ish door mounted ones. I find them in many lesabres and 88/98s, and the door must say "concert surround". Costs me about $5 a set.

Edited by Crazy K