smell from exhaust

Jprice90

It's not really eggy, maybe slightly, I noticed it the other day, along with my girlfriend. My tailpipe isnt black, no smoke etc. I havent done the 02's yet, I may start there anyway, I think my 95 Lumina calls for 2? so should I get 2 of these? like are they universal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HERKO-OXYGEN-SENSOR-HK272-FOR-BUICK-97-03-AND-CADILLAC-96-02-WIRES-4-/170938832506?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALumina&hash=item27ccbf967a&vxp=mtr If it's not the oxygen sensors, could it possibly be the cat? I dont smell it often, once in a while

so..... if it's not an egg(sulphur) scent, then how DOES it smell?

also, if you replace the O2 sensor(there is one), get a Denso or Delco, maybe NTK/Standard, definitely not Bosch. it will be a 4 wire sensor. Rockauto has decent select selection/prices, Amazon usually does as well.

I'm pretty sure your Lumina uses one...downstream O2 sensors didn't become common until OBDII cars started rolling out in '96.

cat is overheating for some reason.

driving at a really high load for long periods of time, in which case, not much you can do.

cat is restrictive.

air/fuel mixture is off.

bad combustion(weak ignition, etc).

"air/fuel mixture is off."

Good thought...he didn't mention how the fuel mileage is...higher/lower than normal, etc...

Generally, though, high cat temps usually mean unburned fuel making it to the cat....but not always.

I did have over gapped plugs, already had a thread on that, someone said I could've messed up my ignition, but idk, I do have some choppy idle at times, but that could be due to something else, not all the times, sometimes. And with the cat overheating, that could be a possibility, but I dont drive it hard, I only drive 22 miles to work and back, but the night it happened, I parked and had it running, thats when I smelled it. If I accelerated at 2500rpm with all shifts until OD which is at 1500, I get pretty poopy mpg, if i stay at around 2200 I get great mpg, thats why I been thinking something isnt right