What does you w-body sound like?

99RegalGS

Actually my stock exhaust sounds pretty good taking into account that it IS stock. The muffler on the 1990 Lumina is about 3/4 worn out and it gives it a deep throaty sound. It sounds cammed up, and my friend even asked me why I would cam up a 6. :lol: I had to laugh, but it does have a throaty idle now. It actually sounds pretty good.

My W-Bodys'

1989 Cutlass Supreme SL

1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 Coupe

1991 Grand Prix SE

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mfewtrail

• 99RegalGS

• TeeJay3800

• Bolt_Crank

my 3100 sound pretty similar to that, i have a 50 series flowmaster, 2.5 inch pipes, and a high flow magnaflow cat. My friends 3100v6 GP has strait 2.5 inch pipes after a magnaflow cat and it sounds like thunder, louder then any v8 ive ever heard. the 60degreev6's are some of the most agressive sounding engines ive ever heard. :D

ok guys i'm gonna ask again!!!!! :D why does my media player open them and then it says done and i can't play them! i want to hear i am redoing my exhaust once again this summer. thanks Jay

you need to update your codecs and/or your player :wink: ...is this "windows media player" if so, download the latest version and the latest codec packs...search on google for "nimo codec pack" and download that, it has basically all the codecs you need to play anything you come across on the net

Hey everybody-

Can everyone with a 3.1 VIN T send me their sound files? I want to compare it with what mine sounds like.....for some reason, I've having trouble opening the posted sound files (probably because I'm at school :D )

SmoothSteve3

Right now, my Monte sounds like the quietest automobile ever created...because it's dead at the shop. It has been giving me non-start issues where it'll crank fine, but not fire. Sometimes, when I hook up a booster pack, she fires right up and runs normal. That ruled out the alternator.

She stalled twice now; once at the lights right when they turned green, the other time, when it ran for 10 minutes in my parking spot and when I put it in gear and backed up 10 feet, she died.

Possibilities:

- crank position sensor (once replaced Jan '02)

- fuel pump (once replaced Jan '02 - whirrs fine at 'key-on' position)

- coil (though no bucking symptom was noticed and it idles perfectly)

- electronic module (once replaced Nov '99)

So we'll see what the shop sees once they actually get it into the bay to determine the problem. So far it's been there two days and I've received no call-back yet. The shop manager is a great customer service guy, so I'm just being patient to find out how many $100 bills I owe them.

I'm contemplating trading it in soon since I have the timing belt to do quickly.

Hey everybody-

Can everyone with a 3.1 VIN T send me their sound files? I want to compare it with what mine sounds like.....for some reason, I've having trouble opening the posted sound files (probably because I'm at school :D )

SmoothSteve3

I'll get you a few clips of the TGP this weekend, they sound pretty much the same as the non-turbo 3.1's from what I've heard, my fathers TGP has a high flow cat, no mufflers, and a resonator after the "y," it has a bit of a rumble at idle and a low growl when going down the road, it's not too quiet or too loud, sounds pretty good. :wink:

I have a clip that someone from this board sent me, but I can't remember who it was. Its a 3.1 (not sure about the kind of car) with a Flowmaster (I don't remember the model). PM me your e-mail address so I can send you the attachment.

would anyone want to host my clips? i think im just going to do the whole video thing cuz i have a dig cam that takes video+sound. much easyer then halling my pc outside. im only talking 1-2mbs.

Hey everybody-

SmoothSteve3

As soon as my car is done (it has a vin T3.1), and i have my exhaust cutout welded on, i'll submit a couple sound clips, if i can

sonyman...i cant host it...but im currious...what engine?

jon

he has the 3800 if I'm not mistaken, what setup do you have sonyman?

No, the 3800 wasn't in the 1.5 gen untill 1998.

He has a 3.4.

3.4 - catco cat and 40 series flowmaster - sounded like shit

put on a turbo muffler - still sounds like shit but not as loud

best sounding 60*'s i've heard are 90TGP's tgp and my sister's 91 lumina with my old stock 94 stainless exhaust and no cat.

(Typing on web-TV, so if any of this is mis-spelled or looks funny, I can barely tell...so bear with me)

I'm doing the exhaust now. The inspection requires me to put on two new mufflers. I could go lifetime-stock with aluminized mufflers for around $125 a muffler (but where would the fun be in that?) :wink:

The pipes and cat. are good, so I don't need to screw with them. I don't want loud, but a performance application would be alright with me, even if it's just for sound. I DO NOT want to lose top-end. I drive the highways so anything larger than necessary would screw me over on that one.

Would Dynamax be the muffler of choice for me?

3.4 DOHC btw - let me know what you think please?

sonyman...i cant host it...but im currious...what engine?

jon

he has the 3800 if I'm not mistaken, what setup do you have sonyman?

No, the 3800 wasn't in the 1.5 gen untill 1998.

He has a 3.4.

3.4DOHC 158,xxx miles as of today :roll:

Im running my own server now off my computer so i dont need anyone to host. i should have the files up by next week when i get the cam

im running magnaflow cat + 2flowmaster40series and it finnaly sounds sweet. :D no resignator.

my car made a big bang n medal dragging on the ground when my engin n subframe dropped out of my car

Well, I'm pretty certain those symptoms would be easily recognizable upon lifting the hood. I think the idea is to try finding a good sound with everything still in its place.

After hearing and comparing the different sound files, i am contimplating getting my 1.5 year old Flowmaster 50 series replaced with a 2.5 inch Magnaflow. I have 2.5 inch pipes and a magnaflow cat. It is really freekin loud, and actually rattles my rear window, i was thinking that the magnaflow would smooth out the sound, and give it a sporties sound. Any thoughts?

After hearing and comparing the different sound files, i am contimplating getting my 1.5 year old Flowmaster 50 series replaced with a 2.5 inch Magnaflow. I have 2.5 inch pipes and a magnaflow cat. It is really freekin loud, and actually rattles my rear window, i was thinking that the magnaflow would smooth out the sound, and give it a sporties sound. Any thoughts?

I'm sorry to hear that your exhuast sound will be going down hill.