silly - diagnosing rattles and whatnot

Chris2012

Is there a manual on this diverse subject LOL?

We all know waterpumps can rattle, but short of taking the serpentine belt off and checking for play in the pulley, I don't think I have that problem.

Is the idea to put the car on ramps and get your arms in there and try to wiggle things?

What are likely possibilities? For one there's sometimes a whine (when it's colder) when I first start it up. And something rattles more when it's in gear, much more quiet when it's in park (but running). I may be hearing 3-4 things at different times. Oi. Is there a rattle diagnostic connector on these cars? There really really should be!

Can I assume that rattles are generally external to a reasonably well functioning engine (or tranny! Yikes!)? I have 182,000 miles. I'd cry if I was told that something in my engine was rattling. Like a big baby in fact.

Edited by Chris2012

whine when cold might be the power steering pump.

rattles...... could be damn near anything. a general location might help.

It whines, moans, bellows, catterwauls, burps, farts, yelps. All that.

Where...you name it. It's more a matter of where it isn't making obnoxious noises. That's a lot easier to list.

Just tell me where the diagnostic connector is that tells me which each means and I'll be alright champ.

sounds like bad bushings in suspension or its crying out for attention from a grease gun, a good spraydown with wd-40, power steering fluid flush and change w/ conditioner and PS inline fliter, brakes serviced, oil changed general tune up stuff everyone that owns a car should know how to do.

You could not drive it, wont make a sound then :lol: