How do I keep the factory amp with an aftermarket stereo?

Senor PuffPuff

I have a 2001 Impala LS with the premium amp in the trunk, but recently I installed a new JVC KW800BT (I think that's the model #) stereo into my car as well as an aftermarket amp and woofers and during installation I realized I didn't know how to hook up the factory amp so it still powers the stock speakers with my new HU.

Does anyone know how I can go about hooking it back up on my new HU? Help would be greatly appreciated!

there should be a single (blue?) power wire that turns on the amp and the glass antenna. wire it to the remote turn on and it should work just fine.

edit: thought I'd clarify:

wire the remote turn on wire from the new head unit to that power wire that is connected to the wiring harness that goes to the car's stereo system. Other than this, it should be as simple as any other stereo install.

Edited by BS009

The factory amp I believe accepts regular speaker level inputs from the factory HU and not a bussed signal. Splice the 4 pairs of factory wires containing the speaker level outputs that go to the factory amp to the corresponding ones on the new HU. I believe the amp turns on from a 12v signal from the factory HU, so that signal wire would need to be hooked to accessory and igntion power somewhere so it will power on properly. I want to say it's a purple wire. Hook the aftermarket amp to the preamps on the new HU.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I'm going to do this today one way or the other...

Now, looking at the wires coming out of the amp, there is one connector with a bunch of different colored wires and the other connector only has one black and one red-orange wire. Am I right in assuming the red/orange and black are (+) and (-)?

Could I just splice them into the + and - coming from my aftermarket amp, or should I wire them separately? It's just a lot of extra work to run power lines under the hood all the way into the trunk so if I can just splice them together, it would save me a lot of time and effort.

Thanks again,

PuffPuff