Cutlass w/ LQ1 cold start missfire

95LQ1VERT

Idle still hasn't learned its "new" setting , it still is idling high any where from 1500-3000 rpm cold or warm, but cold starting it, it doesnt run like crap and there is no miss-fire , so I think I figured half of it out. Could the Marvelous Intake gaskets be leaking?

i decided to take the engine beauty cover off to check the intake gaskets. i sparayed the lim with carb cleaner and what do you know, the engine bogged down when i sprayed the middle intake runner. so im almost positive thats the reason its idling so funny. am i right?

Follow up... I did do the intake gaskets and it fixed the problem.:dance: . It was getting so bad that my car was hitting rev limiter in park after I drove 2 miles. Scared the Hell outta me!!

But suprisingly this job was as easy if not easier than my old ford bronco was when I did them. But watch out, putting the UIM on can be a pain if you don't "prepare" yourself.

But this still pisses me off that I was lied to when I bought the thing. Can't ever trust people on craigslist even if the seller is the sweetest lady.

On to the next project!

Glad you got it fixed! Could be the lady had no idea there was a problem, most people know less than nothing about cars. Not long after I bought my LQ1 Cutlass, I had to do the same, and replace the intake gaskets--TWICE....lol...had it not been for coolant pooling on top of the engine around the oil pump stub cover, I'd have taken a lot longer figuring it out.

40 miles after the second LIM gasket replacement, the timing belt broke....they say bad news travels in threes... :lol:

But, that was nearly 3 years ago, and with the exception of some minor issues, mine has been reliable for nearly 40,000 miles now.

Follow up... I did do the intake gaskets and it fixed the problem.:dance: . It was getting so bad that my car was hitting rev limiter in park after I drove 2 miles. Scared the Hell outta me!!

But suprisingly this job was as easy if not easier than my old ford bronco was when I did them. But watch out, putting the UIM on can be a pain if you don't "prepare" yourself.

But this still pisses me off that I was lied to when I bought the thing. Can't ever trust people on craigslist even if the seller is the sweetest lady.

On to the next project!

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right bad news does travel in three... Well night quite exactly, but I'm still getting that stubborn random high idle every other drive or so. All intake gaskets check out good for zero vacuum leakage (carb cleaner trick), but it stumps me on what it could be.

I believe its a sensor or 2 but Ijust dont want to throw parts at it if it dont need em.

Also I took it to O'rielley' Auto to check for codes, since they do have a code reader for these obd 1 or 1.5 systems. But it said it couldn't connect, is there a fuse or relay that controls the signal to the OBD output? Thats what the guy said down there.

You can scan OD1 codes with a paperclip. But no there needs to be power at the plug i believe which is why it prolly didn't work. When i first got my 3.1 earlier this year it had a high idle at 1500 rpm, One TB gasket, PCV, fixed vac leaks and that went right away!

I have heard of the paper clip trick, its what i did on my old bronco. but I don't have a SES light, its either burnt out or removed.

It has to be a vacuum leak somewhere other than the intake manifold gaskets. So the long searching process will begin soon lol.

I had a bunch of vaccum leaks that ran the vents controls was just unplugged and capped because they were too lazy to patch in the vac line, the pcv off the valve cover, crankcase vent, my tb had a bad vac leak too. Just some places to look! :)

When I did the intake gaskets, all the connections that you listed seemed loose fitting which is dumb of me not to fix, so that right there could be my problem. I will check those sometime tomorrow. Thanks!

I have heard of the paper clip trick, its what i did on my old bronco. but I don't have a SES light, its either burnt out or removed.

It has to be a vacuum leak somewhere other than the intake manifold gaskets. So the long searching process will begin soon lol.

SES light failure can cause it's own problems.

SES light failure can cause it's own problems.

What could a bad SES light cause?

Replaced the PCV valve, checked all the lines for vacuum leaks and to see if they were connected, they all checked out good. I also put a new o-ring on the IAC valve because when I first removed it to clean it, it was loose fitting.

But without being able to check codes or anything I will probably end up throwing parts at it until I can figure it out...

• 4 months later...

still getting a miss fire as its warming up from cold start after it kicks down from the high idle. new plugs and delco wires new iac valve new tps and head gaskets. i dont have and ses light most likely because its burnt out and its a ninety five cutlass with the lq one. what is there to do to correct it?

sorry my phone doesnt let me put in correct punctuation or numbers in lol

I'd bet on a vacuum leak...since you recently put it back together, I'd bet the EGR. Did that myself the first time I did LIM gaskets.

still getting a miss fire as its warming up from cold start after it kicks down from the high idle. new plugs and delco wires new iac valve new tps and head gaskets. i dont have and ses light most likely because its burnt out and its a ninety five cutlass with the lq one. what is there to do to correct it?

sorry my phone doesnt let me put in correct punctuation or numbers in lol

Thanks for the input Galaxie500XL but I think its fuel related!:think:

Futher investigation - I have a miss fire on cylinder #6 on Start up hot or cold after sitting for a few minutes or hours and when running its intermittent. Its not the plug wires, I just got new delco ones, that and I tried my old ones, and I have spark to that cylinder.

I started the car with the spark plug out and I didnt smell any fuel or see any sign of vapors coming out of the hole... That and I removed the plug after running it and the plug wasn't wet. Im guessing I have a bad or super clogged injector?

So unless my "redneck" way of figuring it out is wrong, I'am stumpted.

Edited by 95LQ1VERT

Well, since you had all that apart doing your work..I wonder if perhaps there's a problem with the wiring, or the electrical connector at the fuel injector. If the injectors were accessible, which I doubt they are with the plenum covering everything, I'd be tempted to suggest using a mechanic's stethescope to listen in on the injector. But,off the top of my head,based on what you're describing, I, doubt it's the Bosch spark plug, and more likely a wiring issue at injector #6.

Hopefully, someone else may have a suggestion on what the best way to proceed would be.\

EDIT: While it certainly COULD be a bad injector, the fact it was OK prior to disassembly, I'd think it unlikely, the injector itself is bad...hard to know for sure.

Thanks for the input Galaxie500XL but I think its fuel related!:think:

Futher investigation - I have a miss fire on cylinder #6 on Start up hot or cold after sitting for a few minutes or hours and when running its intermittent. Its not the plug wires, I just got new delco ones, that and I tried my old ones, and I have spark to that cylinder.

I started the car with the spark plug out and I didnt smell any fuel or see any sign of vapors coming out of the hole... That and I removed the plug after running it and the plug wasn't wet. Im guessing I have a bad or super clogged injector?

So unless my "redneck" way of figuring it out is wrong, I'am stumpted.

Edited by Galaxie500XL

I did access the # 6 injector by taking off the beauty cover off and used a piece of copper tubing to hear if the injector was in fact "clicking" and it was. But it could be clogged severly as it only misses on startup and occasionally at idle. Im also positve there is spark to that cylinder and not any other cylinder affected with a miss.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!

Oh and to add to your edit, this thread was made way back when I got it, and I had a miss present then but I was swarmed with other problems as I drove it so I never really got around to it till now?! Also my injectors have never been removed from the rail (by me atleast) so who knows lol.