brake lines

gp1991

alriighty, i need to replace both of the rear brake lines in my car. I searched the site and found out that i need 3/16 line and a bubble flare? any way, the part im confused about is what fitting do i need to connect the line to the master cylinder. Also, which two holes on the master are for the rear two? And one last thing, how does the hard line connect to the flex line by the rear wheels. Ive never done this before but im really trying to figure out how to do this job, thanks.

3/16's is the correct size.

You will NOT be able to make the correct bubble flares without special tools. I have a $500 kit at work just to make special lines such as these. I'd recommend taking it somewhere that can do it right... brakes are nothing to mess with.

I have an option for you that is even better. I just replaced the rear passenger side line on my Lumina.

The lines running to the back are actually separated by a junction near the fuel filter. If the bad section of line is isolated to the very back, you can just replace that section. If not, the option I am about to propose might still work for you.

Advance Auto Parts sells pre-flared and fitted brake line sections. The longest section I think is like 60 inches.

I bought one of the long sections, and a 30 inch section, and a fitting that allowed me to join the two.

You could probably do the same thing with line from the master all the way back with these pre-fabricated lengths of line.

The ones that Advance sells are labeled as "European" but it's just a standard bubble flare and the fittings were the exact same.

All in all, the two sections cost me $17, and a LOT less hassle than buying bulk line and having to fit and flare it myself.

Some will argue that it's not the best setup, but look at it this way: It's a hell of a lot better than rusty lines that are about to blow.

One line is broken after the junction and the other the junction is actually right where it is broken. The junctions are pretty rusty butthe line before the junction seems to be fairly rust free, the line after, not so much

I had a major Pita doing brake lines on my GP. Borrowed a kit and bought a bunch of brake line and starting bending flaring and cutting.

Now all of my brake lines are new and I put some por-15 on them so they will not rust out a again.

i used nickle-copper alloy lines for the back half of both rear lines on one of my cars. I was able to bubble flare it and all using the rental tool kit that autozone has. copper nickle will not rust and is very easy to cut and bend. I did add some extra line protector, which is stainless steel spring as you can see stock on our cars.

I reused the nut ends, but extrs nuts can be bought at the store, or snipped from a J/Y donor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YKE7F8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A16VYECLR0LX2G

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027ABNVQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=A1729W3053T57N

Bubble flare is half double flare... Cheap 20 dollar autozone tool works just fine. Made dozens of bubble flares with it with no problems. You will need 3/16 th metric bubble flare nuts... Some master cylinders have one flare nut larger than the others? Typically they are 12mm and the larger one is 14mm

Edited by Hairdo12

Id take all of the lines off and bring them into a Napa or the like. Somewhere where they have EXPERIENCED guys behind the counter. Tell them you want to replicate and they should be more than able to help you. Make sure you bring every fittiing there is and all the line to make sure you get enough.