Getting front speaker covers off?

jackhartjr

Hi folks, I assume the covers for the front speakers pop off. Is that correct?

Are the speakers easy to replace without taking the dash apart?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Is this for a 'vert?

I don't think you just want to pop those off. They might break. To have enough room to replace those 2 speakers on the dash. You really should remove the dash top. It's quite easy.

You have some bolts in the glove box, you have a couple hidden by the windshield under the defroster vent, remove the radio and gauge cluster bezel 6 screws on the top, A couple of very easy bolts to see by the radio. Maybe a few by the cluster.

Have a HUD? Unclip the connectors, two bolts in the front bracket. Hud should slide out.

That's for a 88-94 CS. Shouldn't take long. Maybe 20-30 minutes to get it out. I can do it at the junkyard in like 10 minutes.

In my 94 vert, they were 4" speakers. Like 94 olds said, it's not that hard just a few screws. Just make sure you get all of them becuase as old as these are, I've seen the padding come off without the frame. :thumbsup:

I called Crutchfields, they are very helpful getting you set up, can even keep the steering wheel controls for $69.00.

Jack

Careful with Crutchfield. Crutchfield said that I had two 6.5" speakers in my front doors and in the rear panels in the back seat. I have a vert. They were wrong on both parts. I had to cut holes in my doors and run wires to install the door speakers and the back speakers were not 6.5" so I had to cut to make those fit also. But, yes there are 4" speakers in the front dash. But, you do have to take your dash apart to get to the speakers. It doesn't take long to take your dash off. And it is very easy.

Red Vert, wonder how long ago that was they told you that. He seemed to know more than me about the vert. Even that you can't have a speaker, (Front) that sticks up more than like an 8th of an inch.

Jack

Jack, here is what I did. I talked with Crutchfield less than 2 months ago. They were wrong. I installed Rockford Fosgate Punch Series speakers in my dash, front doors, and rear panels.

This is the speakers.

post-7349-143689105474_thumb.jpg

Here is the stock speaker that was in my dash.

post-7349-143689105486_thumb.jpg

Here is the two installed in my dash. You can install a speaker that is higher than 1/8". They are way higher than that. You have plenty of room. The only problem I had was with the driver side because the speaker was on an angled part of plastic for the cluster. But I have since fixed that.

post-7349-143689105427_thumb.jpg

Here is my door before and after the install. There is no speakers in the doors of the 94 Cutlass. But, if you go to Crutchfields site it says that there are speakers there and that they are 6.5". They are wrong. I know from experience. Also the last picture is the speakers I had to cut to fit in my rear panels. Crutchfield said 6.5" would fit, I had to cut for them to fit. But, the car sounds GREAT! And I am still running a stock head unit for now.

post-7349-143689105412_thumb.jpg

post-7349-143689105439_thumb.jpg

post-7349-143689105456_thumb.jpg

post-7349-143689105498_thumb.jpg