Not a good day today. Popped a Ball Joint at 20mph!

Penglii

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Garrett Powered

• Penglii

• Schurkey

• urbex

Question for Bob if he's still watching... I need to replace the outer tie rod ends on the 04 GP. You said the Mevotech stuff is decent quality? Does that ring true for their tie rod ends as well?

CRAPPY parts--or any consumer goods--can come from ANYWHERE. It takes no effort to make junk. Junk happens every day, in every country, on every continent. If there are sentient beings on Mars, some of them are making junk and trying to get the rest of 'em to buy it. A person is LUCKY to get what they pay for, often they get much less than the asking price would suggest.

That said, it is WRONG to support the Communist economy while our own economy is healthy, it's INSANE to support the Communists when our economy is in deep doo-doo. Of all the places that you could buy imported goods from--practically the whole world, depending on what you're buying--supporting Communist countries causes the most damage. China is the most hateful, reprehensible nation on Earth.

So, sure, you're looking for quality products; but anything that is sourced from China or Viet Nam should be at the bottom of your "Acceptable" list. Not much comes in from Laos, North Korea, or Cuba; and with any luck it'll stay that way.

"Crappy quality", and "crappy politics" are EACH valid reasons to avoid Communist-sourced products. Even a decent-quality Communist product should be avoided if practical.

while I dont' buy foriegn parts, because I have an american made car. the big threat is not buying foriegn communist made parts, because they were made by a respectable business trying to get by doing what they assume is a good job.

the threat with communism is that it comes to power at home.

Question for Bob if he's still watching... I need to replace the outer tie rod ends on the 04 GP. You said the Mevotech stuff is decent quality? Does that ring true for their tie rod ends as well?

Yes. They are just fine. Some good syn grease will keep them good for a while to come.

Dont waste money on Moog. I replace more Moog parts than damn near OE parts. Coorperate greed, make parta cheaper and still high priced.

No matter what your decide to install, using a very high quality grease and maintaining them will make them last plenty.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Thanks McCarthy!!!

I can't believe I got tricked into talking about politics. don't ask me what communism is then try to ridicule any response I have.

I can't believe I got tricked into talking about politics. don't ask me what communism is then try to ridicule any response I have.

Actually I wasn't referring to you in particular. Just to anyone talking about Communism.

Yes. They are just fine. Some good syn grease will keep them good for a while to come.

Dont waste money on Moog. I replace more Moog parts than damn near OE parts. Coorperate greed, make parta cheaper and still high priced.

No matter what your decide to install, using a very high quality grease and maintaining them will make them last plenty.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

don't get mad at 1st gen parts suppliers because the cost of parts is actually cheap. not sure exactly how cheap I want to go anyway. I know you know more aboot car chassis then me by a long shot, but Moog has been making parts for us since the 80's. I just bought brand new-old stock leaf spring helpers for NOT a high price. don't remember exactly but ball joints were more for sure because higher demand no doubt. but the paper inside was yellow and aged. at the bottom it said 1989. the corporate greed they had making my cheap parts also employed some americans back in 1989. plus with the storage and amount of taxes spent warehousing them all these years generated income for our government. with inflation figured in they should cost several times as much now.

Maintenance is key. I noticed my subframe around the mounts was rusted almost completely gone and I swapped it with the newest and cleanest one I could find used. I still ended up cutting some plates (with a dremel and drill!) and then welding them on to strengthen it up. Glad you got back on the road safe and that the car still lives on!!

2j1vqd2.jpg

29ol6qq.jpg

2n0vn10.jpg

EDIT: herp a derp POLITICAL. herp a derp

Back on topic...

Did someone mention that Taiwanese metal parts are of high quality? I would be interested to see from a mechanic, which brand gets replaced the least.

When it comes to directly safety-related parts, like ball joints or wheel studs, I want something that's actually going to hold up.

... I really need to keep my political rant in the correct place, sorry OP

Edited by GtpKo

it's my fault for bringing it up...

I am glad for the info on the hardware too. I have not installed the other MOOg ones I bought for the red TGP. I will prob seek out grade 8 stuff if its only grade 5.