Air Bags

joeld

Well, it finally happened to me! The first car accident in my life. Guy turned left in front of me, and there was no place to go. Complete front end damage on my 95 GP. Air Bags deployed, what a mess that makes! Haven't talked with ins. company yet, I suspect a total loss.

Anybody ever bought new/replacement bags? I understand there is a Air Bag module also that has to replaced or re-set?

It's a 95 GP SE coupe, was a nice car that has been taked care of. I am the second owner.

Just trying to get all my thought and figures together prior to talking with his ins company.

Thanks

Joel

Pretty much everything in the airbag system has to be replaced, the airbags themselves, the control module, and I'm not sure if these cars have pre-tensioners but those have to be replaced too. On top of the body damage of course.

On a car that old a fender bender that may have been completely cosmetic would be enough to write one off these days.

Before you worry about the airbags, get into the sheetmetal, see what you are looking at the fix it. I'd guess a minimum of front impact bar, radiator support.

The sheet metal won't be a problem, other than just finding the parts. Both fenders, hood, bumper fascia, impact bar, rad, AC condenser, all lights. I've done this type of repair all my life. Just haven't ever replaced any air bags.

But, possibly the ins company might make a decent offer and all this might not happen.

Thanks

Joel

On a car that old a fender bender that may have been completely cosmetic would be enough to write one off these days.

Before you worry about the airbags, get into the sheetmetal, see what you are looking at the fix it. I'd guess a minimum of front impact bar, radiator support.