Ever use Black out paint on lights?

pshojo

I noticed there is black out spray at auto stores for tail lights and others. Ever use this on headlights, tail lights, ect..? Should i just stay away from this?

The Rustoleum spray tint comes off fairly easy with wetsanding. Having used both VHT Niteshades and Rusto tint, i prefer the Rusto. A little easier to apply, easier to get a good gloss on it, and doesn't fade to pink/purple/red over time like VHT does.

If you have a problem with people tailgating(Like I do!), I wouldn't suggest doing your tails. And if you plan on ever driving again at night, forget the headlights. Relevant: http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/73985-My-2-w-bodys-(Pic-Heavy)?p=1110447&viewfull=1#post1110447

Thats My tread lol

I did the knights crests on thier becuase i wanted to have a area that had full illumination/reflection I did 2 coats of vht night shade

Running Lights durring the Day

IMAG0798.jpg

Running light at night

IMAG0816.jpg

IMAG0804.jpg

there is a certain dye you gotta use for the clear, its different than what they use in base paint. sikkens is what's on my tails I'm pretty sure.

Sprayed is the only way to go. As has been said, it takes a LOT of applying and sanding to get Niteshades to look good (glossy). On to the (non-W) pics, sorry...

Excuse the gross bumper, it's gone now :lol:

Photo0680.jpg

Photo0681.jpg

Photo0689.jpg

Edited by oldscsc

WE had covers on our headlights and got a ticket, it's illegal in Washington State. I've even heard about kids getting tickets for those glow lights under the cars that they turn on only when in the parking lots . I was told nicely to remove a license plate out of my window and put it on the front bumper. The motion valve lites on the wheel stems, window tint over 35%, super high intensity headlight bulbs, blue dots, all against the law here. I've seen really nice cars at the local cruze-in's, months later, all the tinted lights are gone...all ticketed. Bummer!

That does look nice. I am thinking that blacked out lights would look good on my all black Cutty. What brand of spray did you use?

I went with the VHT, wetsanded before and between the 2 coats. Then 6 coats of clear, wetsanded between coats again, and after the final. Then buffed them with polishing compound. all lights have the stock bulbs in them. The inside turn hadnt been tinted yet in the pictures.

post-5966-143689097024_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689097031_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689097036_thumb.jpg

Some black/clear paint mixed in a sprayer then paint = damn nice

This. I'm surprised nobody goes this route. I did on the sidemarkers on the Monte. Still are shiny, since using a 2K clear, and no wetsanding required (unless you want them glass smooth) which they still look like glossy paint anyway. While I initially like the look of blacked tails, I can't stand when they're so dark (as most of them are) that you can barely make out the brake lights when they're on. I just saw some newer black car the other day, that had them so dark, it looked like they were just painted black, and when they hit the brakes, all I saw was the 3rd light. For these reasons, I've indefinitely postponed doing the tails on any of my vehicles

This. I'm surprised nobody goes this route. I did on the sidemarkers on the Monte. Still are shiny, since using a 2K clear, and no wetsanding required (unless you want them glass smooth) which they still look like glossy paint anyway. While I initially like the look of blacked tails, I can't stand when they're so dark (as most of them are) that you can barely make out the brake lights when they're on. I just saw some newer black car the other day, that had them so dark, it looked like they were just painted black, and when they hit the brakes, all I saw was the 3rd light. For these reasons, I've indefinitely postponed doing the tails on any of my vehicles

It's just unnecessary because there's nightshade and if it's done right it looks just as good

• 2 weeks later...
It's just unnecessary because there's nightshade and if it's done right it looks just as good

which will subsequently get dull and hazy because nightshade doesn't have all the UV protection and durability of a good clear-coat.