Powertrain upgrade 3.4 v-6 swap for 5.3 v-8 from 06 ss monte into 95 cutlass supreme

imhottt1971

I had a quick thought about swapping an Aurora V8 into our CS, then I read where quite a few of the Indy cars with those modified engines blew them up. I showed my Honey a 1998 Aurora locally for less than 3K and she said..."If you buy this it stays together, you can spend the swapping engines money on GAS!"

Lets see it take a corner and not have any issues with it coming apart at the rear end:lol: or any buckling in the supports in the frame. Eventually when i get my finances in order and find a CS `Vert that needs a little TLC i`ll use a custom tubular frame and a rolling Vette (C4 or C5) chassis to make a good RWD conversion. Maybe a G-body frame if the wheel base is closer to the original size, another day another thread.

That car's been for sale 3 separate times by my count and each time, it needs something new done to fix something majorly wrong. Don't get me wrong. If I had the extra scratch, I'd snatch it, just making a point.

OP, if you're interested, the engine in that Monte Carlo is the L37 4.6L Northstar DOHC V8 and it's far from stock.

I am the third person to have it for sale and I dropped a good 5k in parts on it after I got it. Ill just say the only thing not replaced with a new oem/aftermarket part on the car has been the struts/springs, rack and pinion and the rear lateral links. That's no exaggeration lol.

Nothing needed majorly unless your concerned about looks, it needs a pain job. It's peeling (gm white paint from the 90's haha) and you can see primer on the quarter panels.

EDIT: The motor is bone stock and always was. The original owner/builder was either ripped off by the shop that built it, was lieing to make the car seem cooler, or ripped the guy off that I bought it from and swapped the badass motor he said he built for it out for a junk yard unit.

The person I bought it from would have never known he never dynoed it or took it apart at all. When I broke the motor all down I very quickly realized it was all stock gm stuff.

Edited by 98montels

somebody's talking out their ass then, the 3100 has nothing to do with any "series", that's 3800 language. the 3100 were generation 3 design 60V6 engines. LB6 = generation 2 2.8 (~130HP/160lb-ft)

i have seen some very late 99 N-bodies with the LG8.

it needs to be rid of the piggyback ECM and either run the stocker and correct the calibration or find some other way of controlling the engine/trans, otherwise i think that is it's biggest problem. i also WANT with a concerning amount of desire.

There really is no way to run the stocker at this point there's so much going on. It needs a proper tune really and it would run very nice.

As it is right now it gets an average of 17-18 mpg around town. At WOT and part throttle it pulls really nice it's just the idle. It needs to be converted to a normal IAC setup instead of the stepper motor deal they used in the 94 and older caddi's. It idles as it is in warm weather (50* and up) since I played with the throttle adjustment screw on the idle motor and played with the tune.

When it's colder outside you just have to warm the car up before you drive or else it can be a pain to stop at stop signs or low speed turning.

Once you begin to drive it warms up really fast and all is well.

It's not a big deal to me but to other ppl it may be a huge pain. Most wouldn;t mind the fun factor of the car out ways a little winter time idle issue lol.

And liek I said before the transmission is on a standalone TCI controller already, only the timing/fuel are being modified by a piggy back setup. Which isn't the issue it just needs a tuner who knows what to do with the car to tune it.

The tune that came with the car was absolute garbage, and I mean GARBAGE!! 15 gallons of gas=170 miles around town. I cleaned the tune up and now get 250-300 around town. If I do highway driving at all it gets better than my 98 monte with a 3100 which makes sense since the N* has a lot more low end torque.

Probably just a clueless reviewer, as usual. And thanks. I've, for the most part, memorized the engine RPO codes from being on here so long, but with so few members with 2.8's that talk about them a lot, I hadn't memorized the 2.8L RPO.

If I recall, the way it was customized, the stock pcm can't control it either. I think it needs a standalone ECM and TCM.

ECM is fine and like already stated it has TCI full standalone setup on the trans already. It's fully controllable and setup nice ;)

i really don't remember at this point, all i do know is that would be the first thing i would change about it. and not much else.

for $3000, it's a steal.

First thing to do would be take it to a good tuner with 300 bucks and say make this run nice.

and damn right it's a steal at 3k I payed 2500 for a blown up pile of shit and put atleast 5-6k into it a few months later lmfao I can't believe no one has scooped it up yet

Im kind of a Top Gear fan, the one on BBC, and they had a thing when they compared older vehicles to their newer counter parts and the older ones beat the new ones almost everytime
the fault in your logic is that the older cars were much lighter without all the safety crap new cars have. So they got along faster with less HP.

just for grins i would love to buy an old Ford Courier and swap in a modern Ranger 2.3 5-speed. It'd be nearly half a ton lighter than a comparable Ranger, so it would be faster and get better MPG.

Or even better yet, buy the Series I Shelby 400hp 4.0L Intrique engine and put it into W car. There would be plenty of donor parts

Except that's an Aurora 4.0 V8... which is 99% identical to the engine 98montels put in his car... so it's been done. And it's still hard to make it work.