Powertrain upgrade 3.4 v-6 swap for 5.3 v-8 from 06 ss monte into 95 cutlass supreme

imhottt1971

i own a 1995 cutlass supreme 3.4 v-6 convertible and i was thinking about what it would take to do an upgrade the 2006 monte carlo ss had a 5.3 v-8 engine i would love to swap that drive train into my 95 cutlass supremei am asking for detailed help what do you think it would take to do this swap my thought is to get get a donor car take the drive train and run with it i look forward to reading input

It would be cool, but good luck finding a donor. Lots of fab work, but right idea with donor car. Keep us posted.

(On a sidenote, I have a pipedream of someday, maybe 10-20 years from now, doing a LS4 swap into my '92 Z34)

i did not know it was called an ls4 and have u done a lot of research will there be a lot of mods

Of course there'll be a lot of mods. and it'll be expensive. The LS4 is an all aluminum version of GM's LS-series pick up truck V8 engines, and as such, prices hover around $3700 new and not much less than that used. The LS4 also uses a modified V6 (L67 3.8L supercharged 4T65HD) transmission, and a drive by wire throttle body. There's a long laundry list of parts you need. I remember pricing it out for fun a few years back and it was $7,000 at the lowest possible price for the parts, not including welding for mounts and such, DBW conversion, etc. For that money, you could turbocharge the 3.4L LQ1 with a tuned standalone ECU and get better numbers.

Engines all have RPO codes, and that's what we refer to them as. Here's a few of the common ones.

LQ1: 3.4L DOHC V6 nicknamed the "Twin Dual Cam". This was a high output variant of the 60* engine family. Heavily based on the LH0. 200-215 HP, 210-220 ft-lbs

LG5: 3.1L OHV turbocharged V6. This was another high performance 60* V6 with similar output numbers to the LQ1 that replaced it. 205 HP, 225 ft-lbs

LH0: 3.1L OHV 60* V6. 140 HP, 185 ft-lbs

L82: 3.1L OHV 60* V6. named the 3100 series 2. heavily updated LH0. 160 HP, 185 ft-lbs

LA1: 3.4L OHV 60* V6. Basically a bored out L82. 170-185 HP, 200 ft-lbs

L36: 3.8L OHV 90* V6, named the 3800 series 2. Large aftermarket support. 195-205 HP, 225 ft-lbs. *was on Ward's 10 best list

L67: 3.8L OHV 90* supercharged V6. 3800 series 2 supercharged. large aftermarket support. 240 HP, 280 ft-lbs.

LX5: 3.5L DOHC 90* V6. unrelated to the 3800. Heavily based on Cadillac's Northstar V8. Nicknamed the Shortstar. 215 HP, 234 ft-lbs. Oldsmobile Exclusive. *was on Ward's 10 best list

LS4: 5.3L OHV 90* V8. LS series V8 engine. Essentially a GM truck 5.3 adapted for FWD use. 303 HP, 323 ft-lbs.

Edited by Z34guy

L82: 3.1L OHV 60* V6. named the 3100 series 2. heavily updated LH0. 160 HP, 185 ft-lbs

fix that now!

otherwise, you only missed the LG8 and LB6 of the common W-body engines.

fix that now!

otherwise, you only missed the LG8 and LB6 of the common W-body engines.

When I was looking up reviews of the 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo, they all referred to the 3100 as the 3100 series 2, implying the LH0 3.1 Multi-port was the 3100 series 1.

Which one was the LB6? I'm assuming the 2.8L.

The LG8 was an updated 3100 3.1L OHV 60* V6. output was 175 HP, 185 ft-lbs.

Edited by Z34guy

well i agree all parts and doing it new is expensive i found an ls4 for 1600 obo with 68k and my idea was to find a cheap donor car one that was wrecked maybe how extensive would the mod be as far as welding and such

Would the LG8 be what was in my 99 Malibu? I seem to remember there being 2 different 3100s that went in that for some reason, one that produced 175 HP and one that produced a little bit less. I could be wrong though, I bought the Malibu about 7 or 8 years ago now and got rid of it 5.

Back to the OP. I agree it would be an awesome swap and very unique, but as stated, it would be very expensive and upgrading the current engine to a blown setup, turbo or SC would probably be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier if you are just looking for more power.

Almost any engine can be put in any car with enough knowledge, modding, welding, cutting, blah blah blah... I got a friend putting an LS something in a fiero, can't remember which motor, I think LS1.

Would the LG8 be what was in my 99 Malibu? I seem to remember there being 2 different 3100s that went in that for some reason, one that produced 175 HP and one that produced a little bit less. I could be wrong though, I bought the Malibu about 7 or 8 years ago now and got rid of it 5.

Back to the OP. I agree it would be an awesome swap and very unique, but as stated, it would be very expensive and upgrading the current engine to a blown setup, turbo or SC would probably be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier if you are just looking for more power.

Almost any engine can be put in any car with enough knowledge, modding, welding, cutting, blah blah blah... I got a friend putting an LS something in a fiero, can't remember which motor, I think LS1.

The LG8 didn't come out until 2000. You had the L82. Engine options in the 1999 Malibu were either the LD9 Quad 4 2.4L DOHC "Twin Cam" 4 banger (150 HP, 155 ft-lbs), or the 3.1L L82 160 HP, 185 ft-lbs.

Edited by Z34guy

I was looking at motor swapping for a while too - finally decided it's just not worth it, and that I'd rather have my GP as my DD than try and turn it into something it's not(race car). I do have long term plans of picking up an RX7 and LS1 swapping it somewhere down the road - but making sure the rest of my cars are all squared away first.

The LG8 didn't come out until 2000. You had the L82.

1999.5 actually, so it is possible if the car was made later in the model year..

The easiest way to tell is to look at the uim. The L82 had ridges around the "3100" while the LG8 don't.

Someone on here(98montels) was selling their 1995 MC already swapped with a N* V8 for around $3k. If it's still for sale, sell your current one and pick it up. By far would be the most cost-efficient option if you want a V8 in a W-body.

Someone on here(98montels) was selling their 1995 MC already swapped with a N* V8 for around $3k. If it's still for sale, sell your current one and pick it up. By far would be the most cost-efficient option if you want a V8 in a W-body.

That car's been for sale 3 separate times by my count and each time, it needs something new done to fix something majorly wrong. Don't get me wrong. If I had the extra scratch, I'd snatch it, just making a point.

OP, if you're interested, the engine in that Monte Carlo is the L37 4.6L Northstar DOHC V8 and it's far from stock.

Edited by Z34guy

When I was looking up reviews of the 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo, they all referred to the 3100 as the 3100 series 2, implying the LH0 3.1 Multi-port was the 3100 series 1.

Which one was the LB6? I'm assuming the 2.8L.

The LG8 was an updated 3100 3.1L OHV 60* V6. output was 175 HP, 185 ft-lbs.

somebody's talking out their ass then, the 3100 has nothing to do with any "series", that's 3800 language. the 3100 were generation 3 design 60V6 engines. LB6 = generation 2 2.8 (~130HP/160lb-ft)

1999.5 actually, so it is possible if the car was made later in the model year..

The easiest way to tell is to look at the uim. The L82 had ridges around the "3100" while the LG8 don't.

i have seen some very late 99 N-bodies with the LG8.

That car's been for sale 3 separate times by my count and each time, it needs something new done to fix something majorly wrong.

it needs to be rid of the piggyback ECM and either run the stocker and correct the calibration or find some other way of controlling the engine/trans, otherwise i think that is it's biggest problem. i also WANT with a concerning amount of desire.

somebody's talking out their ass then, the 3100 has nothing to do with any "series", that's 3800 language. the 3100 were generation 3 design 60V6 engines. LB6 = generation 2 2.8 (~130HP/160lb-ft)

it needs to be rid of the piggyback ECM and either run the stocker and correct the calibration or find some other way of controlling the engine/trans, otherwise i think that is it's biggest problem. i also WANT with a concerning amount of desire.

Probably just a clueless reviewer, as usual. And thanks. I've, for the most part, memorized the engine RPO codes from being on here so long, but with so few members with 2.8's that talk about them a lot, I hadn't memorized the 2.8L RPO.

If I recall, the way it was customized, the stock pcm can't control it either. I think it needs a standalone ECM and TCM.

i really don't remember at this point, all i do know is that would be the first thing i would change about it. and not much else.

for $3000, it's a steal.

i would love to have a complete cutlass vert with a 5.3 ls4 i am going to search seriously for a donor car we are all here in this world a short time so i have the time and its only money so i will begin the search

I had thought about an LS4 swap into my CS, a guy i talked with at Milzy Motorsports said it could be done for $7000 including engine, trans and all custom mounting work. But dumbass me bought a plane only to have to part it out about a year later. Ive been pondering what to do next and ive looked into other non-GM engines. I even thought of downgrading to another engine that has a better aftermarket selection than this 3100. Im kind of a Top Gear fan, the one on BBC, and they had a thing when they compared older vehicles to their newer counter parts and the older ones beat the new ones almost everytime, couple that with the fact that older engines parts are more plentiful for replacement aswell as an aftermarket following and their isnt as many computers to deal with. The

3800 is probably the best path to go though, a nice w-body on the road is rare enough, and with that engine S/C version or not its a beast. A beast that somewhat resemble a pig but still a beast.

I had thought about an LS4 swap into my CS, a guy i talked with at Milzy Motorsports said it could be done for $7000 including engine, trans and all custom mounting work. But dumbass me bought a plane only to have to part it out about a year later. Ive been pondering what to do next and ive looked into other non-GM engines. I even thought of downgrading to another engine that has a better aftermarket selection than this 3100. Im kind of a Top Gear fan, the one on BBC, and they had a thing when they compared older vehicles to their newer counter parts and the older ones beat the new ones almost everytime, couple that with the fact that older engines parts are more plentiful for replacement aswell as an aftermarket following and their isnt as many computers to deal with. The

3800 is probably the best path to go though, a nice w-body on the road is rare enough, and with that engine S/C version or not its a beast. A beast that somewhat resemble a pig but still a beast.

[video=dailymotion;x194l0]