My TGP Is Ill

EGTGP

My first real post and its because my tgp isn't running so hot..

started about a week ago noticed it would miss for about 10 sec at startup and then clears up.. starts right up tho.. and anytime you get into the boost It shudders like its loosing boost but isnt

plugs and wires are new. Icm and coils not so much.

can't tell if its a fueling problem or ICM/coils.. plugs looked good when i pulled them..there's no ses light on and i have no way to data log anything.. so im kinda guessing here..

Any thoughts??

Its late and i didnt bother checking spelling sorry.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EGTGP

• Garrett Powered

• White93z34

• Turbo v-sick

new ICM and coils same issue... guess its fueling related.. wish i had a way to data log.. throwing parts at it really sucks..

guess ill check the FPR next.. and injectors

what are the plugs gaped to? fuel pressure?

are they the original fuel injectors? ohm them out with a multimeter... however that does not necessarily mean its good.

what are the plugs gaped to? fuel pressure?

are they the original fuel injectors? ohm them out with a multimeter... however that does not necessarily mean its good.

plugs are gapped to .45 never had any issues in the process of ripping the top off so i can check the injectors.. I have no way of checking the fuel pressure. kinda lacking in the tools department..:(

also not sure if there the originals I would assume the one you can see on the right side/front of the fuel rail looks like a stocker. anyways lunch then back to work

you can rent a fuel pressure test kit for around $100, you get the money back upon return.

are you running a stock chip/tune?

5 speed tune.. boost around 14.4 not sure who did it previous owner had someone on the forums do it.. ran great about 5 months idles fine and at the correct rpm..

no funny exhaust smells turbo has less then 1k miles on a fresh rebuild..

Edited by EGTGP

5 of them are around 11.6-12.5? one of them reads 6.3 do those's readings sounds right assuming the 6.3 one is bad.. primed the system and didnt see any leaking from the injectors.

next question i have 6 good injectors from a 98 l36 are these going to flow enough at the tgp fuel pressure ? or do i need to get down to the scrap yard and find some ford yellow toppers..

yeah that 6.3 one is way too low. I know a few people have run l36 injectors on TGPs and they are give or take around what the TGP injectors are (~23lb)

I'm going to assume that being a 5 speed it has a hotter-then-stock tune you may want to gap the plugs down even further to .35

I'm going to assume that being a 5 speed it has a hotter-then-stock tune you may want to gap the plugs down even further to .35

cool well going to drop those l36 injectors in and re gap the plugs ill let you know how it goes..

hmmm should the the rail stay pressurized when the car is off. seems like its bleeding pressure after key off. like as soon as i key it off and take a pin to the test valve there is very little coming out.. kinda was under the impression i should get a pretty good squirt .. Fpr bad?? tried sucking on the vacuum side didnt get a mouthful of gas..

also put a towel next to the feed line and keyed it on with the rail disconnected and the pump is moving fuel. guess ill go grab a FPR and a fuel filter..

If it's mine I would suggest .028 to be exact...

If it's mine I would suggest .028 to be exact...

Agreed. If you're running that much boost, you need to gap your plugs to about .028-.030 so the boost doesn't blow out the spark.

Also, your injectors should be ohming out at 12.2-12.4 ohms. I'd say plus or minus .1 ohm would be acceptable. Anywhere outside of there, I'd replace it.

Sounds like your injectors may be leaking. Unbolt the fuel rail with the injectors still attached to the fuel rail. Hold the fuel rail up with one hand so you can see under the injector nozzles and with the other hand, press the red fuel pump test lead wire to the remote positive terminal to make the fuel pump pressurize the system. If you see an injector start leaking fuel, that is your culprit.

If you are looking for replacement injectors, I ran Ford C302 yellow top injectors in my TGP with excellent results. Better spray pattern than stock, and flows the same lb/hr of fuel as stock with our fuel pressure.

Edited by Addicted To Boost

Thanks for all the input guys shes back in good running order.. FPR was shot to shit.. had a local guy test my stock injectors and all were between 12.1-12.6 (guess I got a bogus reading on one when i did it.) and ran a spray test to make sure all were firing correctly he didnt have a machine to do all six at once just one at a time.. but the machine did measure the time/fuel/duration and they were all pretty to close each other.. leak tested and all 6 checked out. noticed the oil was a bit thin think it had a bit of fuel in it... that said the engine has 150k on it and the thinned out oil probably didn't help compression. gaped the plugs to .30 changed the oil (always use valvoline full syn 5/30 and ac delco filter) got her all buttoned up and she runs perfect. well almost.. idle seems a little twitchy but i did have the battery disconnected. relearn ? wish i had a tech1 to check everything out..

sorry for all spelling/grammatical errors absorbed alot of chemicals heh..

Thanks for all the input guys shes back in good running order.. FPR was shot to shit.. had a local guy test my stock injectors and all were between 12.1-12.6 (guess I got a bogus reading on one when i did it.) and ran a spray test to make sure all were firing correctly he didnt have a machine to do all six at once just one at a time.. but the machine did measure the time/fuel/duration and they were all pretty to close each other.. leak tested and all 6 checked out. noticed the oil was a bit thin think it had a bit of fuel in it... that said the engine has 150k on it and the thinned out oil probably didn't help compression. gaped the plugs to .30 changed the oil (always use valvoline full syn 5/30 and ac delco filter) got her all buttoned up and she runs perfect. well almost.. idle seems a little twitchy but i did have the battery disconnected. relearn ? wish i had a tech1 to check everything out..

sorry for all spelling/grammatical errors absorbed alot of chemicals heh..

follow this thread then maybe if you want to datalog

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/51487-OBD1-ALDL-Cables/page6

how far off are they from eachother?

all were between 15.5-15.8

on a side note I took a look at your rides in the links you got there. damn nice my friend :thumbsup:

Edited by EGTGP

you got a reprogrammable chip then? you need tunerpro rt.

I do. and I've been looking into whats going to be the cheapest option. wife keeps my budget pretty tight. :( It was my understanding that the yellow toppers flow 22lbs at our fuel pressure and didn't require much fiddling? maybe I'm wrong.

Its true if it works, it works. I always used that theory and it worked with the stock chip, or using a top gun chip. and was very successful, although it took me longer than it had to, get a car running perfectly without monitoring stuff on a laptop...and that's an understatement.

that was all stock stuff though. and back then laptops were not that cheap. I still should have had it and I would have been better off. anyway, there is much more than just needing it for the injectors.

the yellow toppers flow 22lbs at our fuel pressure and didn't require much fiddling?

That is correct. Running yellow tops will not require any fueling changes.