Engine Detailing...

BrianK82

I would like to know if anyone on here has any experience cleaning the engine bay of an LQ1 car? I know the process doesn't change per engine, but my concern is for the alternator. I wouldn't fear the alternator on a 3.1 car, but I dont want to risk having to change the alternator on my LQ1 because it got wet while I detailed the engine bay. It seems impossible to get to it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Is it best to just go easy around that area with the water? Open to any tip, hints, or ideas. Thanks.

with the alternator on the bottom like it is i would be more concerned driving in the rain than getting it wet while washing the engine. what i would worry a bout on the dohc is that the spark plugs with them recessed into that channel on the cam cover water can get in them easy,

ask me how i know :lol:

Edited by jake91

I usually spray the surrounding area with Simple Green and some type of engine cleaner and let the car run while you hit it with the hose. I usually do not spray the engine directly. Then I use compressed air and blow the big water off of everything, then dry it with a cloth. I usually use the damp cloth and wipe the engine down itself at this point. Then I use a non silicone based tire dressing and spray the area. This is what I've been able to do below:

Before

downsized_0401021706.jpg

After

enginecln.jpg

All that leave the engine running: Why? If something is going to happen with the engine off, it's sure going to happen when it's running. Think of like this: your engine (in proper, maintained running order) is designed to hold all of it's own fluids in, and to be air-tight, so why should water ever get in? Also, regarding electrical connections and whatnot: That's why they have the weather-pack connectors. And if they're leaking water, then they aren't doing their job. The only notable thing I have for most vehicles is the alternator, as there are some open circuit connections near the internal regular and diodes, but still. I've since long done away with covering anything with plastic bags and whatnot, and I never have had problems hosing the entire engine bay down and scrubbing it. Mind you, I do this with a garden hose and not a pressure washer. I even realize that a pressure washer is too strong for this at times. If you disagree, fine, but if your engine exhibits driveability or other issues, then there were problems waiting to happen regardless of you getting it wet.

The only reason I leave it running is to help dry it faster as it warms up. I've also done it with the engine off but dry time is longer. That's my only reason. You are right, it is supposed to be air tight so if you have an issue running or not, it will show up if you do.

it could happen... But understand... 4x4's trucks have water hit the motors ALOT (big mud puddles etc) no problems. i always pressure wash mine at the car wash with 0 problems.

I just use a garden hose with a sprayer, a bottle of Simple Green (or I've been using Shout! on my motorcycles as well) and a toothbrush. Take your time. These are my results of the simple green and a toothbrush method:

Before:

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov32007014.jpg

After:

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov32007016.jpg

Simple Green works a damn miracle, I use it as well. Your engine will be fine wet, it you feel more safe covering up the alternator and then spraying it, do so. But first I spray that whole thing with water, (light spray, don't aim in specific direction, make it like a natural rain) then spray anything you can get to with Simple Green, let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then spray it down again and it should make it look nice. Don't use any detailing sprays because most of the time it will just be a dirt collector. After your done all that keep the hood open and let it air dry. I have done it on all cars I have owned and it has not drawn a problem yet.

I just use a garden hose with a sprayer, a bottle of Simple Green (or I've been using Shout! on my motorcycles as well) and a toothbrush. Take your time. These are my results of the simple green and a toothbrush method:

Before:

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov32007014.jpg

After:

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov32007016.jpg

I must say nick, I was shocked when I bought that car and that engine was as clean as it was :) If you ever see me again feel free to kick me in the nuts for gettin rid of it. all it needed was a few hundred bucks in suspension parts... WTF WAS I THINKING!!

• 2 weeks later...

just if you do clean it with a degreaser and water, probably better not to hit it with high pressure spray.

Yes the electrical connectors have weather proofing but high pressure water could still make it's way in.

And yes, the front plugs of the LQ1 do like to leak in water. If that happens, you will hear it sizzling until it evaporates.

With the alternator, you would pretty much have to aim for the thing to hit it.

Once the engine is cleaned, let it run for some time to dry.

Mine is not in the best shape but after I clean mine, it tends to "miss" and run poorly.

Most likely hitting a hot engine with cold water won't break anything but maybe best to let it cool before washing. Maybe 20 minutes.

Elbow grease is the safest method for getting rid of really nasty crap.

Once it is nice and clean, do whatever detailing like polishing the metal parts, shining the plastic parts, hoses, etc...

After that it is merely light maintenance to keep it looking good.

You could also remove some of the easy things like the anti-freeze reservoir to get to some of the hidden crap. I use a rag and mineral spirits for easy removal of dirt and grease that even degreaser won't handle.

post-5745-143689096794_thumb.jpg

Well, high pressure water may intrude into certain places, but that's why I don't recommend nor use anything more than a garden hose. I've washed my '92 multiple times with no issues from water intrusion into the spark plug cavities, and it runs just fine when it's started immediately after a drenching of water.