'94 Cutlass Sedan -- Reverse Lights Stuck On

GP1138

This just started happening today - the reverse lights are stuck on. This morning when I took my son to school, I was able to flip the shifter (column) from P to 1 and back to get them to shut off, but now they're stuck on seemingly permanently. Any rhyme or reason to why this might be happening? The shifter switch does not appear to be loose on the transmission.

the +12V switched feed for the reverse lamp circuit is a constant hot +12V, so the internals of the switch itself may be going bad and causing the circuit to constantly be closed.

Would this have any bearing on turn signals and brake lights? The entire ass end of the car seems to have (no pun intended) crapped out on me as far as lights go. Parking lights still work.

I'm trying to avoid doing the TSS but it looks like I'm going to need to.

hmm.... shouldn't be related, since they don't seem to share any common circuits with the exception of the splice that connects all of the grounds together into circuit 150, then circuit 350.

for now, pull the remote compartment release fuse and that will disable the reverse lights. shouldn't disable too much else, i would think.

neither does the 95MC, but the fuse and it's wiring is still there.

it would more accurately be called the "transaxale position switch" fuse, but GM chose remote compartment release for some reason.

EDIT: just to be sure, i checked and there is another +12V circuit used for the shifter position switches for the ECM so it won't effect that. that's run by the TCC fuse.

Thanks a lot! I just pulled that fuse and I'll have to get that switch troubleshot at some point here. The car only gets driven twice a week as it is but I'd like it to work properly.