Radiator problem

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Last year I had my radiator recored. Everything was fine until recently. The drivers side tank is leaking pretty bad out of the seam, up on top. Is there any way to fix this or is it a goner?

Are you sure it's the seam and not a crack?

I would go tho the people who did the recoring and see if you can get anything out of them. I had a new tank put on a year ago, it started leaking out of the crimp, the guy woho did it threw it in the tank and found the leak, then recrimped it. I have a Cutlass, though, so I don't know if your radiator is constructed differently.

Hey chris, any way to fix a leaking seam on an end tank?
j

While i'm not a radiator mechanic, i have repaired several radiators in my life. If its leaking where the end tank meets the core bulk head, it shouldn't be too hard to fix. if the tank has split you may be out of luck. Clean the area where the leak is thoroghly with a metal brush. Make it shine. Then brush some flux over the area. Have your solder ready and heat the area. Test the solder to the area until it starts to melt and run the solder into the seam. It will drip down the radiator if its still in the car so it may take a couple of attempts to get it right. Just don't cook it for too long. Just enough heat to get it done.

Chris