Popping Noise when Shifting/Accelerating

Ramblin Garage

Hey guys, the cars still in storage but when I brought it out last and before it went into storage, there has always been a popping noise when I shift from Park to Reverse and when I accelerate, whether it's in Reverse or Drive.

My first 2 thoughts are maybe a motor mount or strut mounts? I'm not sure and I did a quick google search but didn't find much.

Has anyone had any experience with this or know of a fix?

Why not turn the car on open the hood, have someone sit in teh driver's seat and start shifting through gears and then watch the engine, and see if you can pin point the noise.

Bonus points if you can find the spot where a motor mount is missing and put your hand in there. The destruction of all bones in your finger(s) will confirm the site of the problem, and the blood will lead your mechanic right to the source of the problem.

My guess is motor mount. Take a look and see if you can see it, if it looks wet like the grease has leaked out.

stupid, but serious question, where is the motor mount located?

Passenger side bottom of engine. It might be easier to see if you take the wheel off. From there you can see the side of it. A transmission mount is in about the same spot, but on the drivers side.

Passenger side bottom of engine. It might be easier to see if you take the wheel off. From there you can see the side of it. A transmission mount is in about the same spot, but on the drivers side.

alright thanks, i thought it was down there somewhere, how hard are they to replace?

alright thanks, i thought it was down there somewhere, how hard are they to replace?

Not very. Worst part for me was all the cussing I did because the replacement Chinese shit didn't line up. Just jack the engine up, take the old one out and put the new one in. Pretty simple.

Alright, same for the trans mount I take it?

Thanks, I'll have to do this sometime in the early summer, it's been bothering the hell out of me forever and thought my struts were going bad

I was thinking of doing poly mounts but they're super expensive, would rubber probably be a better bet anyways on a street car?

also are they the same for the 3400 and 3800? I just assumed they were

Edited by trewyn15

When I did it in the white Lumina, I just went with a chinese replacement one from Advance.

Check the dog bones too. On the 90 I was getting that noise and one of the rubber inserts was shot. Replaced it and it's been good now.

When I did it in the white Lumina, I just went with a chinese replacement one from Advance.

Check the dog bones too. On the 90 I was getting that noise and one of the rubber inserts was shot. Replaced it and it's been good now.

I'll check the dogbones first since I have polys for those already, thanks for the help. I'm hoping this isn't too hard to do

Man i have this same problem on my CS. Ive changed every mount at the same time -no luck.

Ive upgraded my sway bar to 34mm and have energy bushings stuffed in- no luck

Im thinking now it has something to do with the rear exhuast manifold or something in that area, because the other day i had my engine rocked forward and was checking out something i cant recall at the time and when i let it back down gently i heard the noise and it sounds like something with the exhaust. Ive posted my own thread with the same symptoms and everyone is going to tell you motor mounts. But my question would be whats actually making the sound at which point in the car then we could both figure it out.

Where does your sound seem to come from while your inside the car? Mine was always the passenger strut area, so strut mounts would make sense for me, otherwise I think the engine mount would make perfect sense, but I have to check it first

I'm getting my downpipe and everything behind it replaced with 2.5" so if it's that, that'll maybe work out okay

Sounds like towards the lower rear of the engine, at the downpipe actually. I figured i damaged mine rotating the engine a couple of times a few years ago. It got away from me and it dropped back into position once and i noticed that noise then too. I have to wait for any exhaust work because im really wanting to swap my 3100 for something else but havent made up my mind or the money for it yet.

Sounds like towards the lower rear of the engine, at the downpipe actually. I figured i damaged mine rotating the engine a couple of times a few years ago. It got away from me and it dropped back into position once and i noticed that noise then too. I have to wait for any exhaust work because im really wanting to swap my 3100 for something else but havent made up my mind or the money for it yet.

weird, I always describe mine as the bottom corner of the windshield or under the passenger side dash

With that being the case i`d check your strut towers, what would cause the noise:think:no idea but thats an area under stress.

But if thats where your sound seems to be coming from thats where i`d start. Ive got what sounds like gravel or marbles in my exhaust so its hard to hear where the sound is coming from till i fix whatever the hell is causing that. Its always something but if it worked right i`d be bored out of my mind.

With that being the case i`d check your strut towers, what would cause the noise:think:no idea but thats an area under stress.

But if thats where your sound seems to be coming from thats where i`d start. Ive got what sounds like gravel or marbles in my exhaust so its hard to hear where the sound is coming from till i fix whatever the hell is causing that. Its always something but if it worked right i`d be bored out of my mind.

The thing is, when I shift into Reverse, I'm not moving at all, I'm not sure if it'd still be putting stress on the struts, but the struts really shouldn't be moving right? This is why engine and trans mounts sort of make sense to me.

Every time I see the title in this thread I think it says "Pooping".

well if i accelerate too fast... lol

based off of?

Balljoints make a subtle pop/knock. It's so easy to check'em. All you've it to do is jack your car up, put one hand on the top on the tire and one have on the bottom and try to shake it. If theres any movement whatsoever that means your balljoint is bad. Should a balljoint fail at the wrong time you could flip the vehicle.

Balljoints make a subtle pop/knock. It's so easy to check'em. All you've it to do is jack your car up, put one hand on the top on the tire and one have on the bottom and try to shake it. If theres any movement whatsoever that means your balljoint is bad. Should a balljoint fail at the wrong time you could flip the vehicle.

I thought thats how you check your wheel bearings? In the Hayes manual it says to pry up between the rim and knuckle underneath the ball joint with a pry bar.

I thought thats how you check your wheel bearings? In the Hayes manual it says to pry up between the rim and knuckle underneath the ball joint with a pry bar.

I suppose that method would work for a wheel bearing too. But If the wheel bearing had that much movement you would have a lot of noise and vibration. In any case if you have movement there it's probably a good idea to stop driving the car and further inspect the problem.