Tires for 1996 Olds cutlass supreme

Ben Cartwright

Daily driver. Owned this car since new, has the leather seating, floor shifter, 3.1L. Came equipped with eagle 215/60r 16 tires on mag type wheels. Ride is very stiff with these tires.

Have a set of studded aggressive winter tires (on steel wheels) that I put on for winter each year.

Now need to replace the tires on the mag type wheels for rest of year use, probably with some relatively inexpensive all-season or maybe touring tires I suppose. Preferably something that rides better than the eagles (I don't need sporty or high speed rating, just a commuter)

Went to tire-rack site to order some tires and it says the car takes 225/60 R16.

No sticker on door with tire size info.

Owners manual says there is a tire load sticker on the underside of trunk lid. Trunk lid got replaced when garage door came down on it in 1997, thus no sticker on trunk lid. Only mention of tire size in the OM is referencing not to use chains if the car came equipped with 215 or 225 tires.

So do I purchase 215's or 225's, or does it matter?

Thanks

225 60 16 is the OEM size AFAIK. I'd recommend, for you, something like the Kelly Navigator Gold, good mid-range all season, very affordable. In the more premium line, something like the Goodyear Assurance ComfortTred Touring would do nicely. I also like the Yokohama AVID TRZ or the new AVID Ascend would do well for you.

If your car is set up for 225/60/16s and you put 215/60/16s on it, your speedometer will read about 3-5 mph fast, that's the situation I am in with the Outback's snow tires. A more appropriate size if set up for 225/60/16 would be 215/65/16 as it is closer to the same overall diameter. But regardless it is generally best to stay with the same size that your car originally came equipped with.

225 60 16 would be the most likely choice, and with plenty of options. 215 tire size was nearly gone by 96.

I like the yokohama tires, and would stay far away from firestone or kelly tires, much less goodyear. a touring tire of some sort would probably be what you are needing.

If your car is set up for 225/60/16s and you put 215/60/16s on it, your speedometer will read about 3-5 mph fast, that's the situation I am in with the Outback's snow tires. A more appropriate size if set up for 225/60/16 would be 215/65/16 as it is closer to the same overall diameter. But regardless it is generally best to stay with the same size that your car originally came equipped with.

that fast? it's not that much of a difference in wheel size.

On my girlfriends grand prix she has the Michelin Hydroedge which are pretty soft and I prefer them over my Goodyear Tripletreads, almost the same tire, Tripletreads are quite a bit harder rubber though

Thanks for the replies and links. I found the original window sticker in my file and under optional equipment it says it has a 'sport luxury package with P215/60R 16 performance tires.' So I guess I'll try and stay with P215's.

Yes, Trewyn, I completely made up something I'm experiencing first hand with my own car :roll:

Michelin Hydroedge has been discontinued, replaced with Michelin Defender, which hasn't been released yet. Triple treds have better snow traction ratings, but ill say they are both great tires.

Source: I'm a tire salesman.

I highly recommend the Bridgestone Potenza Grid G019 in the 225/60/16. These tires were specially designed for our cars ( size and weight of vehicle). Had a set on my 01 Intrigue and my 94 Cutlass coupe, never had an issue with either car.

Its only a 1 mph difference @60mph Mike.

I 2nd Yokos for being good and inexpensive. I have Avid TRZ right now.

My speedometer was accurate when it had the 225/60/16s on it, now with the 215/60/16s it reads between 3 and 5 mph slow (according to my GPS), so unless something else got fucked at the same time...

We sell the shit out of Yokohamas where I work, people seem to like them for the price/quality. The TRZ was discontinued though because of numerous complaints about premature wear. The Ascend is replacing it, Yokohama swears up and down this one will get the 70,000-80,000 mile warranty. We'll see. The TRZ never had a problem getting the mileage warranties out west allegedly, but once Yokohama expanded into the north east and the terrain/climate changed, they no longer were able to get the mileage.

Edited by WhatTheFehl

Not a tire expert here but this is my experience -

With the rough ride, i had that problem on my old tires. They were worn to shit but also the max PSI was 44 and I kept them at 40.

The brand new tires I got were cooper trendsetters and $77 a piece (not including installation)

After a few hundred miles, they seem to ride well and are not noisy.

I don't know the max pressure but they are inflated to like 33. Smoother ride than I had before.

Time will tell how they hold up. They are an "entry level" tire though, best for daily driving. Not good for performance like racing or if you drive the crap out of your car.

At this point though any tire is better than the ones I had which had gathered nails and were worn, kept alive only by fix a flat and daily re-inflations

I think the ones to be avoided are Faulken tires. Too many horror stories about those floating around.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I ended up with Hankook optima 215/60 R16 from tire rack. Had them mounted on the wheels at the tire shop and then I installed them on the car.

As mentioned previously the sticker on the trunk lid is missing on this car and I can find no other reference either on the sticker inside the door or the operators manual as to what psi the tires should be. The tire shop set them at 38psi but I suspect that is a bit high. What is the recommended tire pressure for this vehicle?

Thanks