95-97 Cutlass Supreme Stereo Installation

Rob95CS

Ok, I used the 'universal' GM stereo mounting kit you see at a lot of department stores in my car several months ago to mount my stereo. It was made for 94 and lower Cutlass Supremes, and it wouldn't quite fit all the way in the empty slot of my '95. Since it doesn't fit properly, it also keeps the dash trim from fitting over it. So my dash trim has just been hanging there for a few months.

I finally decided to fix it and bought the mounting kit for the '95-'97 CS's (Scosche GM1583). Low and behold, it doesn't fit either! I checked it out, and the STEREO itself is hitting the back of the dash cavity.

I checked the instructions for the mounting kit, and under the CS section, there's a little note that says, "Back of dash cavity may need modification." The back of the dash cavity is a metal plate! Has anyone else run into this? I'm sick of my dash looking ghetto. What modifications need to be made!?

Similar for me and my lumina.

The stereo sticks out like 1-1.5" beyond dash. it looks horrid, but it works.

My dash trimpiece fits though. I like that, dash plate may need modification, lol

John

LOL .. I suppose I could probably use a Dremel tool and take a chunk out of my dash trim-piece, but I know that would look like shit too. It's something I have to look at every day... I would really rather have it look nice.

get a stock stereo head unit put in and all is solved, my 96 sl came stock with the cassette cd combo and i love it, have had no problems and looks extra nice, i think it works and sounds great but if you don't like it get a stock bose head unit. either way any after market head unit in our cars is obvious and not too pleasing to the eye. if you insist on aftermarket unit and want it to look very nice then you may have to unfortunately get a pro to do the mod work

:lol: :lol: :lol: mine looks just fine because i destroyed a stock tape deck i had that was not working just forgot hook up the antenna it the radio so i guess i don't have any right to be dissing any one else :evil:

I had to take out some of the plastic that was preventing my stereo from going all the way back. You can either just punch the crap out of the plastic, try to break it off, or try to cut it.