2001 Century LI rear speakers

gaviscon

My rear speakers have been blown for a few months now and I want to replace them.

As far as speakers go, can I get a pair of 6x9 sonys from wal-mart and expect anywhere close to the same sound? I'm not looking for anything special here (i drove with 1-2 blown ones for a year).

Also, how do I access them? they cannot be removed/replaced from inside the trunk and so I was wondering what/how I have to remove to get at them. My car has the fold-down rear seats if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

When I did the rear speakers on my Z34, I had to remove the rear seat, then the parcel shelf panel and I could access the speakers from the top. It should be a similar set-up on the Century. Not really that bad, just somewhat time consuming.

I think a good (metric) socket set, and some screw-drivers is all you need. Pick up a Haynes or Chilton's manual on the Grand Prix for how to take it off. the one for the Lumina and Monte Carlo worked for me.

It shouldn't be difficult removing the seat. The bottom only clips in, and its only a couple bolts keeping the outside pieces on. The hard part might be getting the carpet on the package tray up.. the foam underneath can stick on sometimes, so you might need to take your time, and slowly separate it. I can take a look at mine tomorrow to see if it isn't much trouble if you haven't figured it out by then.

x2 on the Haynes manual. There is one for the Century(/Regal?) though. I'm not sure if you would have any trouble finding one.. I haven't seen any around here.

As for Sony speakers, I would stay away from them. I'm not sure about the 6x9"s, but the 5 1/4" that are in the doors have less bass than stock. I would look for some pioneers.

Rear seat should be held on by two clips. Pull up on the bottom bolster (at the front) around the middle of the driver and passenger side. Should be hiding there. Pull down on the clip while pulling the seat bottom up. After that it should slide right out.

Seat back is held on by about 4-6 bolts. You'll likely have to remove the seat belts too (unbolt from the bottom that is).

Then like they said remove the rear deck and you will be all set. That is exactly what I did for my 01 GP when I owned it.

Rear seat should be held on by two clips. Pull up on the bottom bolster (at the front) around the middle of the driver and passenger side. Should be hiding there. Pull down on the clip while pulling the seat bottom up. After that it should slide right out.

Seat back is held on by about 4-6 bolts. You'll likely have to remove the seat belts too (unbolt from the bottom that is).

Then like they said remove the rear deck and you will be all set. That is exactly what I did for my 01 GP when I owned it.

on Gen 1.5's, the back seat bottom is held in with 2 bolts, pull that out, unbolts the seatbelts from the bottom, fold the backs down and remove the 6 bolts for the brackets for the fold down seat. then the back has clips (I believe I broke mine not knowing they were there. dunno. haven't checked. seat backs stay in place fine though.). then the back should move out of the way and the parcel shelf just slides forward, allowing access. I'm a little fuzzy on it, but I know that's 90% correct at least.

Similar as I said though. the back seat still has to come out.