Disabling automatic locks??

SnowDrift

'93 GP Special Edition

Is there a way to disable the automatic locks? I have a problem with a vehicle telling ME when I need to lock my doors. It's a real pain in my neck!

It was cold this morning and I hadn't driven this car for about two weeks and I started it up before I opened the barn door and when I went back to pull it out, the door was locked. So, here's this car sitting here running with my phone, lunch and keys INSIDE. I was blessed because my wife had an extra set hanging by the back door and was still home. It locks itself all the time when the ignition is on, but I've always remembered and manually unlocked the door when I got out. Since it had been so long, I forgot.

How can this "feature" be disabled?

Thanks in avdance,

SnowDrift

94+ is differant. If you want to disable it, you have to remove the underside panel on the passenger side of the dash, and there is a wire harness coming out of the chime module (the module should be WHITE in your car, and it is attached to the electrical center under there). The chime module has about 4 or 6 wires coming out of the back of it going to an electrical plug. If you undo the wiring harness, the autolocks stop working. Just check to make sure that when you unhook it, that it does not disable the entire power lock system.

'95 GP

My doors lock when I put it into gear, and don't unlock until I shut the car off. Really doesn't bother me too much since I don't usually get out until the car if off anyways! Plus I laugh when the passenger tries to get out before me. Although it has never locked me out, it has always scared me that it could, since I don't have an extra key! (yet)

ugh i couldnt stand the auto locks on mine. everyone tries to open the door before its unlocked. ill end up with a broken handle, and i actually locked myself out once cuz of it. car was stuck on a snow bank so i got out with it in drive, shut the door and 'oh fuck'........i hated those things!!!! i promptly disabled them

i allways keep a door key in my wallet or pocket if no wallet

I do that to.

I actually have 2 sets of keys for all my cars on me at all times. But, I have them on one of those keychains that seperate. I love those things. I've had them as far back as I can remember. It's become habit for me to detach the bottom half whenever I leave the car running and PURPOSELY lock the doors.

My friend's '93 Lumina has that automatic lock and it aggrevates the piss out of me. I see you guys mentioned that some of yours unlock at a specific time automatically. His doesn't. He has to manually unlock them when it's time to get out. Is that normal, or is something wrong?

wait a sec...I could SWEAR my manual with my 94 Cutty tells me how to do it by just pulling 1 fuse out...I'll double check on lunch break and post it.

94 is differant (like I posted earlier). His is a 1993. To disable it on his, you have to either unhook the wiring harness coming out of the chime module, or remove the chime modul all together. I know it sounds stupid, but that is how it works. In 1994, they used a totally differant system preping the cars for the PROGRAMMABLE LOCKS that they car currently using.

i allways keep a door key in my wallet or pocket if no wallet

I do that to.

I actually have 2 sets of keys for all my cars on me at all times. But, I have them on one of those keychains that seperate. I love those things. I've had them as far back as I can remember. It's become habit for me to detach the bottom half whenever I leave the car running and PURPOSELY lock the doors.

My friend's '93 Lumina has that automatic lock and it aggrevates the piss out of me. I see you guys mentioned that some of yours unlock at a specific time automatically. His doesn't. He has to manually unlock them when it's time to get out. Is that normal, or is something wrong?

no, that's normal for the Z's, they lock as soon as it's in gear... under the dash, in the chime module, it's a blue wire with a white stripe, IIRC I disabled it on mine...

and I always have more than one set of keys on me... :lol:

I know they lock in gear, but what I'm saying is a couple of the guys on this thread mentioned there's UNlocks when in park so that they don't have to manually unlock it. My friend's doesn't do that. He puts it in drive, the doors lock, and then you have to unlock them yourself when you want to get out.

I know they lock in gear, but what I'm saying is a couple of the guys on this thread mentioned there's UNlocks when in park so that they don't have to manually unlock it. My friend's doesn't do that. He puts it in drive, the doors lock, and then you have to unlock them yourself when you want to get out.

that feature came in 1994 for the Z's and other W's too, I think... I know the Z's for sure..

I think that's normal on that year / model. I used to own a '93 Lumina Euro, DOHC. It would lock automatically, but you had to unlock manually. My '95 Cutlass unlocks when you turn off the ignition.