e-brake stuck (caliper)??? help

THe_DeTAiL3R

car has 4 wheel disc brakes just so you know

anyways, the e-brake sticks, but its not the cable, I think its the caliper or something (with the wheel off when you push the THING manually it goes back, but still kinda sticks..)

Pretty vague but I don't know what the hell I'm talking about as far as parts. I have a Haynes manual so I can check out stuff if you can help me.

Thanks

One of my rear calipers froze up entirely a while back, causeing lots og heat and a rediculous smell, so i replaced the entire caliper, with my dad at night (pitch black, useing a fuckin droplight). It seems as though every time i need to do a mojor maintence thing on my car, that it is always around 8 or 9 at night, must just be my luck.

If it is the braket i would lube it and see if it sticks if not the braket.

It is the cable becuse it would stick when you go to stop at a light, sign, ect. If it does not stick at signs and light its not the calpier

hope this help and that im not way off here :oops:

good luck

let know how it turns out

Yeah, this seems to be a fairly common problem among some w-bodies.

About a year ago, I had my entire driver's side rear caliper lock up. I didn't really notice it all that much until the mechanic pointed it out to me...but it was definitly stuck. The heat build up was so high, that it started to melt my plastic hubcaps :D.

I eventually had the entire rear braking system replaced......for about 800 dollars at an auto shop. Big mistake on my part......

SmoothSteve

That happened to me once. The left rear caliper locked up and made the entire area hot while driving and gave off a terrible smell. Turns out it wasn't the cable, just one time when I hit the brakes hard, that particular caliper decided not to release. Some parts were replaced, but I don't remember which ones. Its been fine ever since. First-gen W-bodys have a very poorly designed system for adjusting the brakes. What I do is once I get my brakes adjusted properly, don't ever touch the e-brake pedal and they should stay adjusted for quite a while.