monoleaf replacement

brake

Should be on the inside of one of the doors. Paging Ken...

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

That's on the car, though. Besides, my door jamb sticker is almost worn off :D

Was wondering if I could identify the spring via a code. I found the codes but don't know if it'll be marked on the spring.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brake

• xtremerevolution

• skitchin

• pshojo

I`d just go grab a rear end of a new w-body in a J/Y. I`ve got a `94 CS coupe ready for some rear upgrades and im sure our cars are identical in the back. Ive got my eye on a busted monte carlo i know its one of the new models but not sure what year. I`d like to grab that one but im not sure if its a direct bolt in application, if it is that would be sweet. Its got what looks to be brand new rotors and pads, rust hasnt even had a chance to set in yet from what i can tell.:dance:

i`d like to know what some of you more exp. w-bodiers think about a newer Monte Carlo rear going in a 94` supreme.

Brake, if you're in Ontario. You could have gotten a replacement from Birchmount Springs. They're in Toronto. I believe even the guys in the states buy replacements from them. On another note, I was under the impression that with rear coilovers you also want to beef up other rear components like the rear sway bar. $175 for coilovers just isn't going to happen, and Brake is right, it just costs more to do these things here.

Brake, if you're in Ontario. You could have gotten a replacement from Birchmount Springs. They're in Toronto. I believe even the guys in the states buy replacements from them. On another note, I was under the impression that with rear coilovers you also want to beef up other rear components like the rear sway bar. $175 for coilovers just isn't going to happen, and Brake is right, it just costs more to do these things here.

Wasn't the birchmount leaf upwards of $250? I ran one for about 2 years after my flex-a-form spring broke. Mine was too soft, but it was a well built spring.

I've actually met the vast majority of the folks that did that show. Mr. Lahey was the nicest.

Sweet! Yeah hardly anyone down in the states has heard of them, so anytime someone mentions Nova Scotia or anywhere in the maritime area I have to throw it out there hehe.

We're going to see Cyrus on the 19th. Fuck off, I got work to do.

EDIT: I'm in school studying automotive service and repair, talked to my instructor today and found out he's got a leaf spring compressor that will work on my car that he made himself back in the day when he was doing lots of these springs.

I`d just go grab a rear end of a new w-body in a J/Y. I`ve got a `94 CS coupe ready for some rear upgrades and im sure our cars are identical in the back. Ive got my eye on a busted monte carlo i know its one of the new models but not sure what year. I`d like to grab that one but im not sure if its a direct bolt in application, if it is that would be sweet. Its got what looks to be brand new rotors and pads, rust hasnt even had a chance to set in yet from what i can tell.:dance:

i`d like to know what some of you more exp. w-bodiers think about a newer Monte Carlo rear going in a 94` supreme.

I think youd be a fool. Theres plenty of aftermarket parts that will work much better than anything that came stock from GM. especially if you dont even know the year. Could end up being exactly the same as what you have... And putting pads and rotors from a jy on your car... really? New ones from a store are pretty cheap...

The only parts from a new W-body (97-up) that are direct bolt in are the crappy trailing arms that are of the same design. The rest of the parts aren't bolt in one bit.

PM me if you want more info on what you can really do with your suspension. Just be prepared, nothing is cheap.

BTW, F the haters, nothing wrong with snagging cheap brake pads and rotors from the yard that are pretty much brand new. My local pullpapart yards charge like 83 cents for a brake pad and something like $7 for a rotor. I've gotten plenty of cheap brake pads that were actually the high dollar quaility pads.

The only parts from a new W-body (97-up) that are direct bolt in are the crappy trailing arms that are of the same design. The rest of the parts aren't bolt in one bit.

PM me if you want more info on what you can really do with your suspension. Just be prepared, nothing is cheap.

BTW, F the haters, nothing wrong with snagging cheap brake pads and rotors from the yard that are pretty much brand new. My local pullpapart yards charge like 83 cents for a brake pad and something like $7 for a rotor. I've gotten plenty of cheap brake pads that were actually the high dollar quaility pads.

X2 on the cheap parts thing. People will get their brakes done, and 1000 miles later, their transmission will take a shit and they'll send the car off to the junkyard. If they look nearly new, there's no point in not taking them, even if you don't absolutely need them.

• 2 weeks later...
I think youd be a fool. Theres plenty of aftermarket parts that will work much better than anything that came stock from GM. especially if you dont even know the year. Could end up being exactly the same as what you have... And putting pads and rotors from a jy on your car... really? New ones from a store are pretty cheap...

WOW you got me wrong guy, of course pads at a J/Y are worthless but if a car wound up having new rotors put on within a few weeks of it being in the yard and having basically no miles on them why pay $50+ bucks for ONE new one when i can get 4 bigger slighty used ones for the same price? Im not trying to spend an arm and a leg upgrading right now, got more pressing matter. In the pull a part here in TN i see all kinds of expensive parts being thrown at dying cars that end up there anyways. My CS has the monoleaf rear the Monte does not its a 2004 and someone already swiped them. Just an idea i had looking for glove box latch in pull a part. The second most rarest part it seems

• 3 weeks later...

Rich;

Pretty sure the Pull-A-Part in Knoxville has a Cutlass with a good glove box latch...I'm likely to be going there tomorrow, do you want me to look and see? Would you want just the latch, or the entire glovebox door?

WOW you got me wrong guy, of course pads at a J/Y are worthless but if a car wound up having new rotors put on within a few weeks of it being in the yard and having basically no miles on them why pay $50+ bucks for ONE new one when i can get 4 bigger slighty used ones for the same price? Im not trying to spend an arm and a leg upgrading right now, got more pressing matter. In the pull a part here in TN i see all kinds of expensive parts being thrown at dying cars that end up there anyways. My CS has the monoleaf rear the Monte does not its a 2004 and someone already swiped them. Just an idea i had looking for glove box latch in pull a part. The second most rarest part it seems

I heard once from a PO that you can swap newer grand prix rear independent stuff on to these cars. As for that leaf, the guy put blocks under the mounts to raise the back up, made it ride better too. Still needs struts and all that jazz.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to use a spring compressor that my instructor made modeled off of the GM compressor. Looks just like this

OTCJ35778-L.jpg

had the bitch out of there in about 10-15 minutes once I had the car up in the air, and most of that was spent wrestling with rusty bolts (none of which broke, I am happy to report)

Coil over converstion? What parts do you need from what cars? I looked at the monte, and the top bolt pattern is different, thought about swapping out whole undercarriage, our yard gets $65 for it.