• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brake

• xtremerevolution

• skitchin

• pshojo

Noticed while I had my car on the hoist that my transverse leaf spring is on its way out. Can you even buy replacements? Don't see em on RockAuto

Not that I know of. What do you mean by "on its way out?"

I looked and looked and looked - only have a few options.

-Junkyard replacement

-Pad/Puck inserts

-Coilover conversion

I opted for a coilover conversion - there dont seem to be any kits available, but you can piece something together.

it is about to break or let go.

Then Skitchin is right. If its broken, pads will not help any because its broken. You'll need a junkyard leaf that's still intact, or go with coilovers, which are the next cheapest solution. Total cost of coilovers if you already have KYB shocks and mounts in the rear is somewhere around $175 shipped to your door. Bob (BXX) is the guy to talk to as I don't recall the exact details, but he should have a writeup thread around here somewhere.

HUZZAH

I just found one. My friends father works at an industrial spring shop and did some rooting around in the back, found one for my car. Said it's not brand new but it's never been used before. Around 200 bucks.

Got off of the phone with the Chev dealership....$1000 for a spring from them.

Then Skitchin is right. If its broken, pads will not help any because its broken. You'll need a junkyard leaf that's still intact, or go with coilovers, which are the next cheapest solution. Total cost of coilovers if you already have KYB shocks and mounts in the rear is somewhere around $175 shipped to your door. Bob (BXX) is the guy to talk to as I don't recall the exact details, but he should have a writeup thread around here somewhere.

I never suggested that pads would help a broken spring?

HUZZAH

I just found one. My friends father works at an industrial spring shop and did some rooting around in the back, found one for my car. Said it's not brand new but it's never been used before. Around 200 bucks.

Got off of the phone with the Chev dealership....$1000 for a spring from them.

$200 for a leaf spring or $175 for coilovers? Are you aware that there were over a dozen different spring codes for our cars, for varying heights and stiffnesses? What if you got the spring from a Regal custom sedan? Have you seen the wheel gap on those? My sister in law's car is a 1996 Regal Custom sedan. Her car is so high off the ground that I can almost change the oil without lifting it. Like a truck.

1995-Buick-Regal-lft-428087.JPG

I never suggested that pads would help a broken spring?

Skitchin mentioned something about them.

Well, I asked for a spring for a 96 Grand Prix coupe.

200 bucks and it's a straight replacement that is a 25 minute drive from here. I don't care about the spring rate especially given the difficulty of obtaining said spring (the dealer said they weren't sure if they could even get them anymore)

If the spring is actually for a Buick sedan that's alright by me - I vastly prefer a car with a slight rake anyway. The ground clearance on my car sucks, too, frankly.

Thanks for the suggestion but it would not be $175 for me to convert to coilovers. I'm in Canada so figure 2x that price.

Edited by brake

Thanks for the suggestion but it would not be $175 for me to convert to coilovers. I'm in Canada so figure 2x that price.

The last asking price for Bxx mounts was about $250, if I recall correctly.

Yeah my mounts are $250. People use stock mounts with varying success depending on who made the mount. I've used stock mounts before, IIRC they are still in action on my old 96 CS now owned by Venom.

And FYI mr canadian guy (:lol:) if stuff is so expensive to buy online in Canada, i'm sure there are members more than welcome to purchase them on your behalf and ship to you.

Yeah my mounts are $250. People use stock mounts with varying success depending on who made the mount. I've used stock mounts before, IIRC they are still in action on my old 96 CS now owned by Venom.

And FYI mr canadian guy (:lol:) if stuff is so expensive to buy online in Canada, i'm sure there are members more than welcome to purchase them on your behalf and ship to you.

stuff is expensive in part because of shipping and duty fees.

Stock kyb mounts are holding up great on my car with a 400lb spring. Its been 30k miles now since they've been there and they look just the same as when they were first installed.

I belive you'll need to remove the strut to get the old leaf out, which will probably need an alignment afterward too.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

you technically need a kent-moore tool to remove it with the least chance of killing yourself.

I've seen lots of people use a jack on the spring, pull the knuckle and let it down that way.

with the proper tool it does not take long to swap just have to undo one trailing arm according to the manual.

If the spring is actually for a Buick sedan that's alright by me - I vastly prefer a car with a slight rake anyway. The ground clearance on my car sucks, too, frankly.

BLASPHEMY! I thought I was the only one here that actually preferred stock ride height (not lowered)?!

BLASPHEMY! I thought I was the only one here that actually preferred stock ride height (not lowered)?!

Stock ride height is good, but if your wheel gap is in the rear 3-4" taller than it would be stock, the car might look a bit dumb. Better than a broken spring, sure, but I'd hate to spend $200 to make my car look like someone kicked it from behind.

Edited by xtremerevolution

There's no way it would lift the car 3-4". I don't even think my car had 3-4" of droop travel stock.

My regal did for sure. I should find some pictures. I was able to fit my entire fist plus 2 fingers between the tire and the wheelwell arch.

Lowered cars are great and all but I don't like avoiding parking lots because I know I'm going to tear the shit out of something if I attempt them. Among other reasons.

They look great, I like 'em, they're just not for me.

Edited by brake

Will the spring code be marked on the spring itself at all? For curiosities sake I'd like to know exactly which cars spring I'll be putting in.

Should be on the inside of one of the doors. Paging Ken...