body work help

GPdriver1986

I need some help with my body work I need some suggestions

First

MVC-006S.JPG

This is the rear passengers side wheel, I did Bondo on it this summer but I didn't do a good job, so rust started to form again and there was a ridge. So I sanded every down to level and I cleared up the rust a little, sprayed some oil, and I filled it with bondo. Now I think I just have to sand it down a little then i'll just paint it. Any comments?

Second

MVC-005S.JPG

This is on the drivers side door. When I got my car there was a giant spot rust spot with no paint. So I sanded it down and I put bondo on it, primer, and paint. But I can think I didn't sand it down enough and now it has a ridge around. What should I do?

LOL good hub caps ya right!

One of my hub caps fell off once ( I was driving behind the GP in the other car) I got it. Then it fell off again I couldn't find it anywhere.

My suggestion(you may hate me): Get out the metal cutters, and cut out that area, plus another half inch. Once you got that bad spot cut out, sand out the area that you will be working with. Now this is your decision on what to do. 1:You could bondo up the wheel well and fit it, sand it to match the contours of it, 2:You could fiberglass the area, sand it, then put a little filler in there to smooth it out, or 3:(toughest, unless good with metalworking) custom fab up the shape that you will need out of aluminum, and weld it in. All of these suggestions are time consuming, but will turn out good if you take your time. After you have decided what to do, cut out the bad area, then sand down atleast 2 inches around that, so you have a nice area to work with. Then go with one of the choices i put above, and do that. Afterwards, sand sand sand, and use a good body filler to help match contours. After you are satisfied with how it is, primer it up to prevent rust. Then have it either professionally painted, or you can do it yourself. Hope this helps. As for the door, i couldn't see in the picture what you meant.

My suggestion(you may hate me): Get out the metal cutters, and cut out that area, plus another half inch. Once you got that bad spot cut out, sand out the area that you will be working with. Now this is your decision on what to do. 1:You could bondo up the wheel well and fit it, sand it to match the contours of it, 2:You could fiberglass the area, sand it, then put a little filler in there to smooth it out, or 3:(toughest, unless good with metalworking) custom fab up the shape that you will need out of aluminum, and weld it in. All of these suggestions are time consuming, but will turn out good if you take your time. After you have decided what to do, cut out the bad area, then sand down atleast 2 inches around that, so you have a nice area to work with. Then go with one of the choices i put above, and do that. Afterwards, sand sand sand, and use a good body filler to help match contours. After you are satisfied with how it is, primer it up to prevent rust. Then have it either professionally painted, or you can do it yourself. Hope this helps. As for the door, i couldn't see in the picture what you meant.

These will produce the best results. If you dont completly remove the rust it will come back. Becarefull with the bondo also, cuz alot of times after it is been painted you will be able to see the lines. I would get it professionally painted that way the paint can be blended to the car properly and your work wont show as much either i dont think. Out of the three listed, i would say the best way is going with the new piece of metal. Fiberglass would be my second choice.

Although it's time consuming and difficult, new metal is the best, I agree.

Adding to what topless said about bondo. Even if you are able to sand it down to an absolutely perfect shape, and the lines are invisible when you paint over it (or have it painted) bondo will wear through the paint in about 6 months.

My Cougar looked absolutely perfect when I finished it...no lines. Then, 6 months after the paint job, the bondo wore through the paint and now the wheel wells look like shit from any distance closer than 10 feet.

Adding to what topless said about bondo. Even if you are able to sand it down to an absolutely perfect shape, and the lines are invisible when you paint over it (or have it painted) bondo will wear through the paint in about 6 months.

My Cougar looked absolutely perfect when I finished it...no lines. Then, 6 months after the paint job, the bondo wore through the paint and now the wheel wells look like shit from any distance closer than 10 feet.

I am not saying you are no good at body work, probably better than i am; but car manufacturers do use bondo. Even on new cars. My old grand am had bondo on it and it never had an accident til i drove it. I found the bondo when sanding off some paint/rust areas around the botton of the doors. The rust was not where the bondo was, I just sanded there to blend in the paint. So depending on the type of bondo, or the person doing the job i have to some what dissagree with the 6 month statement you made.

For a lazy person like myself, cutting out the metal and reworking all of it soundsl ike a major painin the ass.. but it's in the BEST interest for your car.. sounds like it's the only way.

I agree, metal will produce the best results. I've heard bad things about bondo. And the bad thing about fiberglass is that it doesn't flex, meaning that if it bends, its gonna break. So metal is definately the best way to go, but thats only if you have the availability. If not, then i would go fiberglass.

I am not saying you are no good at body work, probably better than i am; but car manufacturers do use bondo. Even on new cars. My old grand am had bondo on it and it never had an accident til i drove it. I found the bondo when sanding off some paint/rust areas around the botton of the doors. The rust was not where the bondo was, I just sanded there to blend in the paint. So depending on the type of bondo, or the person doing the job i have to some what dissagree with the 6 month statement you made.

My Cougar was my first body work experience. So I was definitely not great at it. I'm not a pro even now, 3/4 of a car later. 6 months is not an absolute number, obviously. All I mean to say is I've never seen or heard of a bondo job where the car owner and/or body worker was 100% happy with the finished product, especially after time passes. Possible exception being your old GA.