Need Help with 1988 Grand Prix Handle

pgebro

I have just purchased a 1988 grand prix with one of those weird verticle handles that are on the side of the door and my passenger one doesn't work on inside or out. i think it is something inside not working because the handles themselves pull out and go in fine they just don't make anything happen when you do it. I am at a loss when it comes to anything automotive and i dont have someone around who knows about vehicles but i dont know where to buy this that would include whatever works inside the door or how to go about even putting it in. I have a son who if told how could do it probably but i dont know where to begin and it is really hard having a two door car with only one working door. If anyone has information where i can get a reasonable handle for my passenger side and possibly know how to go about changing them out i would appreciate any information. Thanks so much.

It's probably not the handles themselves. What you'll need to do is try to pry the door panel off from the inside. When you see do that you'll see two bars that run nearly the full length of the door. Those are probably in need of adjustment. Someone else might have some tips on the proper way to bend them to adjust them but overall it's not too bad to do. Just some trial and error.

If the handle isn't broken it probably needs to be adjusted. You can adjust from the door jam. A couple of screws have to be removed to get the access panel off. Then the linkage that goes into handle can be adjusted. Once it's adjusted properly the outside handle will work.

To get the inside one to work will probably have to pull the door panel.

Edited by 94 olds vert

It would be much easier to remove the door panel if you remove the passenger seat. Just 2 bolts up front under the seat and 2 behind the seat and the seat is out of the way.