Manual steering rack?

mazdamx640

Delete the emissions BS if you want to free up some HP

Wait, what emissions BS? The EVAP and EGR neither hinder performance, but deleting them will hurt fuel mileage, especially if not tuned properly to delete them.

It also gives you better brake feel and yeah i know the 3800 is heavier but they have got alot more potential and aftermarket support plus there is no replacement for displacement. i've got a n/a 3800 right now but will add a turbo later

It also gives you better brake feel and yeah i know the 3800 is heavier but they have got alot more potential and aftermarket support plus there is no replacement for displacement. i've got a n/a 3800 right now but will add a turbo later

I posted the solution for brake feel. I assure you, you will have a better feel than any manual brake system.

The main thing that you could do to increase the feel if all else fails is a larger bore master cylinder. You'll have to look aftermarket and find one with a correct bolt pattern such as a Wilwood unit (not sure if they fit)

Otherwise, even going manual brakes, you will still get the same pedal response.

And yeah I am planning on upgrading the rest of the brake system and suspension but am having trouble finding good aftermarket support for things like bigger brakes polly bushings and stiffer springs. is there anything that would bolt on from maybe a second gen w-body i'm kinda new to pontiacs

Theres not a huge aftermarket for these cars, but BXX himself makes a few suspension upgrades... Have a look around in the suspension forum for some of his posts, youll find info on bushing upgrades there too... Brakes can be upgraded with doing the gen 2 knuckle swaps and from there I believe Fbody or GXP brakes are an upgrade...

how bout somthing like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-95-HONDA-CIVIC-MANUAL-STEERING-RACK-AND-PINION-GEAR-/300520164528?hash=item45f865ccb0&item=300520164528&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

As others have said, you can swap the rear knuckles from a gen 2, but you have to already have done a coil-over conversion.

The w-body's definitely have their weak points, I'd focus on some of the more tried and trued mods. Front/rear coil-over conversion, rear knuckle and rotor upgrade, front/rear strut braces, poly control arm bushings, tubular sway bar + poly bushings, L67 swap, and some other sub-frame stuff which would keep anyone busy. Most of these mods Bxx has posted tutorials on if you do some digging.

You can make the w-body's pretty damn mean without losing some of our modern comforts. Just remember the cars were engineered with certain technologies in mind and going against the grain might just do more bad than good.

There's plenty you can do to the suspension:thumbsup:

Im too lazy and tired to do so right now, but a quick search of threads in the suspension section will show you all sorts of fun things.

I know Me, Andrie (xtrememrevolution), Adam (Aweb80) have several good threads. There are some others as well.

Won't evne come close to fitting. We are trying to tell you manual steering isn't gonna happen.

Just the basics of it, you would need to custom mount a rack, fabricate up a steering intermediate shaft, deal with custom tie rod ends (Think bumpsteer elimination style with Heim Joints) and you need a rack with a proper ratio, AND it will need to have the inner tie rod joints at the same width! Otherwise, you don't wanna know all sorts of wrong things that will happen to your steering geometry.

Try this. Go out, disconnect both lines for the PS off your rack. Move it back and forth to fully drain it. Connect both hoses together so fluid to flow while the car is running (otherwise you will burn up the pump!) and take her for a spin. Voila, you haz manual steering.

Report back. Word of wise, drive slow and no hard corners.

(I have actually done this on my old 88GP due to a blown line)

And I have owned 2 Nissans with manual steering.

Manual steering and manual brakes will be time wasted compared to the effort needed to top swap a 3800.

I have a poly control arm bushing mod writeup. Very big difference. BXX has a few writeups as well. Ask and we will answer, but don't take it personally when we tell you that your ideas were stupid. We've been around here for long enough to know what works, what doesn't, and what you can and should do to improve performance. Your ideas are at the bottom of the list of things you can do to improve performance.

I would recommend searching and reading through threads on this site to get some more information, then asking questions when you need to.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

Try this. Go out, disconnect both lines for the PS off your rack. Move it back and forth to fully drain it. Connect both hoses together so fluid to flow while the car is running (otherwise you will burn up the pump!) and take her for a spin. Voila, you haz manual steering.

Report back. Word of wise, drive slow and no hard corners.

(I have actually done this on my old 88GP due to a blown line)

And I have owned 2 Nissans with manual steering.

Not that I'm for a split second arguing his plan is not World Series of Dumb, but manual racks are always easier to turn than a power rack with inop power assist.

Not that I'm for a split second arguing his plan is not World Series of Dumb, but manual racks are always easier to turn than a power rack with inop power assist.

Im well aware, but doing this will give him a decent idea of what to expect without being to destructive.

• 9 months later...

It is completely do-able i am in the process of completely gutting and replacing components on my 97 monte carlo it is going to take alot of time money and fabrication.

First you need an 86 monte carlo G-Body frame.

Next build up the frame/chassis to your liking (manual steering, manual brakes).

Now add your drivetrain (engine, trans., drive shaft, rear end).

Cut the floor for your vehicle out of the car including trunk.

Next mount the frame to the body.

Now it is time for the extensive fabrication.

You will need ALOT of sheet metal and all of the correct tools also someone who knows how to weld.

Fabricate your floor and trunk over the new frame (preferably a channeled floor)

Bolt your new frame to your body install your interior and your set.