1995 GP SE Rear suspension

skitchin

I've got some suspension sag in my girl and need to replace some stuff. I had a heavy sub-box in my trunk for a while and all that weight is centered past the wheels :(. My old man and I haven't had any luck tracking down a new leaf spring - no idea what in the hell to do there. Think I'll replace the shock absorbers too, just wondering what all of your suggestions are. What should I get and where should I get it? Parts must be bolt-on as the work is not being done by me.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skitchin

• BXX

• AWeb80

• l67ss

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So after doing some studying and research, I say no effing way to coil-overs replacing my mono-leaf. Not only could it collapse my strut towers, but would also effectively raise my center of gravity... I definitely think I have a bad shock or two, so how can you truly tell if a mono-leaf is worn?

So after doing some studying and research, I say no effing way to coil-overs replacing my mono-leaf. Not only could it collapse my strut towers, but would also effectively raise my center of gravity... I definitely think I have a bad shock or two, so how can you truly tell if a mono-leaf is worn?

First off, coilovers are not going to raise your center of gravity, and they aren't going to harm the strut towers unless you have a rust problem. Many of us have them and race with them and no one has had any trouble. Those towers have plenty of metal.

Check if your leaf spring pads are shot. If they are, replacing them with the white replacement ones from autoparts stores will raise the car up about a half an inch. If they pads are ok and the car sags in the rear the monoleaf is worn.

Thanks for the reply jman, I really appreciate hearing from someone with your kind of experience, being that you drive a grand prix and do autox - something I've been debating doing next season. I'd love to have fully adjustable coil-overs all the way around with the works, but as I'm sure you can understand, would never do anything that could damage my car. I'm going to spend some time with her tonight and inspect every inch around the towers and see if anything looks questionable.

On one hand, I want the best performance I can squeeze out, but I also want the car to last and stay reliable.

You won't damage your car by going to coilovers. There is the same amount of metal as a 1.5 gen and they have MacPhersons. And like jman, many others have put on many hard miles w/ them without a problem. But, like he said, try the "pucks" first if you just want it back to normal if the leaf isn't broken.

Alright, I'm working up a parts list for coil overs. Any suggestions what sort of spring rate I should be using? Not even sure what range I should be in there for comfort vs sport vs jarring your spine. Here's what I've got figured out so far - I might shop parts from other suppliers, this is just where I found them first.

KYB Shock and Strut Mount PN# W0133-1621590 x2 = $61.90 car-stuff.com

KYB GR2 Struts PN# KY236003 x2 = $100.24 car-stuff.com

Energy Suspension spring isolator PN# E1296103R x1 = $5.87 car-stuff.com

Coilover Adj Nut A1Racing PN# A1-12460 x2 = $25.74 a1racing.com

Coilover Sleeve A1Racing PN# A1-12452-H x2 = $37.60 a1racing.com

12" long 2.5" ID coilover springs PN #SUM-122-5300 (italic is springrate) x2 = $69.90 summitracing.com http://www.summitracing.com/search/Length-in/12-000-in/Inside-Diameter-in/2-500-in/Brand/Summit-Racing/?Ns=Rank|Asc

$301.25

Edited by skitchin

Your not gonna be able to source parts from any other supplier.

A1Racing is the only place that makes the sleeves and adjuster nuts.

Summit has the cheapest springs (I'm running Summit brand springs and like them, have zero issues. You may want 12" springs if using stock style strut mounts. Springs are aboot $40 each.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Chassis-Suspension/Brand/Summit-Racing/Section/Suspension-Components/Part-Type/Coil-Over-Springs/Length-in/12-000-in/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

KYB struts, order through Advance Auto Parts online, use discount code - VISA. Pay with a VISA, bank cards work.

Spring isolators, get ready for a 4 week wait on average. Just aboot every single place has to get these from ES themselves, so the wait is aboot 4 weeks to ship. You only need one kit, they come as a pair.

Most seem to go with a spring rate of 300 in the rear, which is what I have done also. It depends on what you are looking for. I'd consider 300 to be near the line as far as stiffness and being streetable. I'm using Eibachs and KYBs.

Your not gonna be able to source parts from any other supplier.

A1Racing is the only place that makes the sleeves and adjuster nuts.

Summit has the cheapest springs (I'm running Summit brand springs and like them, have zero issues. You may want 12" springs if using stock style strut mounts. Springs are aboot $40 each.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Chassis-Suspension/Brand/Summit-Racing/Section/Suspension-Components/Part-Type/Coil-Over-Springs/Length-in/12-000-in/?Ns=Rank|Asc

KYB struts, order through Advance Auto Parts online, use discount code - VISA. Pay with a VISA, bank cards work.

Spring isolators, get ready for a 4 week wait on average. Just aboot every single place has to get these from ES themselves, so the wait is aboot 4 weeks to ship. You only need one kit, they come as a pair.

FYI A1Racing hosed me on my order. One of my adjuster nuts isn't threaded properly and they refuse to answer any emails about it. All three other nuts can go on any sleeve, and that one nut binds up on all of them.

Ive prolly bought 2 dozen sleeves and adjuster nuts from them with zero issues.

Call them, don't email. These guys are very easy to deal with.

And 300lb is not too stiff, not too soft. Good rate for everyday.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Starting to get that excited-butterflies-in-my-gut feeling :D.

I just wound up ordering everything, will have to wait and see how long the isolators take to show up, strut mounts are back ordered as well. Managed to thin down to just two orders, one from A1racing and the other from Summit, total cost with ground shipping $324.22.

Just to clarify, Bob you said I only need one kit for the isolators? Wanted to double check with that long-lead time. Short of that all I need are washers, lock-washers, and nylon locking nuts - pretty hopeful my work will have what I need. Doubt anyone knows but what size nuts and washers am I looking for? http://www.crestmidwest.com/ Is our website, most of the inventory should be viewable. Btw I can get things just above cost so let me know if any of you super-helpful people are really needing something ^_^

If you search, you will find one of my threads where everything necessary for coilovers has been covered.

Thanks, that post cleared up a lot of confusion I had. Here's a link for everyone http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/37622-Coilovers-Adj-Mounts-Solid-Cradle-Bushings-UPDATE-3-25-Design-Done!!!!?p=651227&viewfull=1#post651227

Yes one set will do a pair. I thought I needed two sets and only needed one. I will dig it up when I get home if interested.

If summit pushes the date back any further I'd almost definitely be interested - expected arrival date(at summit) is 12/5 for my isolators. Any further back and I'll be rocking a sagging ass end till after chrismas.

If summit pushes the date back any further I'd almost definitely be interested - expected arrival date(at summit) is 12/5 for my isolators. Any further back and I'll be rocking a sagging ass end till after chrismas.

Trust me, i've gotten a pushed back date from Summit on several occasions, only to have the parts the next day:lol:

THose mounts need to haz the jounce bumper to work. It's a hard urethane foam doohicky that is shoved inside the mount there. It will center the spring and isolator. Not perfect, but cheap and decently effective.

So these mounts a no go or is there a separate part I can press in? In any event, I don't know why I didn't try to order these from the GM dealership, they usually give me employee discounts even after all these years.