Odd Power antenna issue

Galaxie500XL

About a year and a half ago, I had to replace the inoperative factory power antenna on my '95 Cutlass. Used one from a Regal. Worked great for a while, then began making a habit of not going down all the way, about 5-6 inches always remained up. Couldn't find any problem, no odd noises, but had more important things to deal with.

These past few weeks, though, I've noticed something interesting. As long as the temps are lower than say 50 degrees, it works perfectly!

During the day, when the temps rise above that magic mark, the antenna returns to not going all the way down.

Any idea what would case it to work perfectly when cold, and not when hot?

If anything, I'd have expected just the opposite...

Well, I've had a power antenna one from a firebird in my Cutlass it would stay up about 5 or 7 inches. After taking it apart I'd found the end of the plastic cord had broken off so it wouldn't retract fully.

I have no idea why yours only works in cooler temps.

Hm.. I suppose it could be the cord as Nate said.. It could be a bend or something in the wire that works when cold because the wire contracts back together? These cars have odd electronic issues sometimes... The front door locks on my Lumina will not power unlock once it gets cooler also, but always lock fine (and start functioning perfectly again once spring rolls around)..