Mix and match mirrors

skitchin

Thing that sucks is the mirror seems to be one piece. Also, think I mentioned this on the 1st page, but the 1st gen mirrors and the triangles are two separate pieces - not sure if that has it's own fasteners or what.

7224255574_bff95c6ace_b.jpg

7224256438_8a3796d22f_b.jpg

Looks like it's made of ABS plastic. I wonder if that plastic gets soft and tacky when exposed to MEK. You could probably cut and solvent weld those posts into the appropriate positions for a gen 1 and reinforce with a bunch of extra ABS pieces. It actually doesn't seem like it would be too difficult of a project.

your from st. louis... I went to junk yard there once and it was little sketchy, on the north side. I wonder if there are any others there besides the ones on the north side.

What do you use for solvent weld?

I use Methyl Ethyl Ketone for ABS, just look for a solvent called "MEK". I think you can get it anywhere in Klean Strip brand, container looks like this:

http://www.hollistons.com/images/products/07948.jpg

I think Wal-Mart carries that brand, but I think I got it from Lowes.

Not all ABS can be solvent welded with MEK, but most can. If it turns white, then it can't be solvent welded with MEK and heat welding will need to be used. It's a good idea to avoid breathing the fumes, but it's not considered highly toxic (about the same as acetone).

I love the stuff for plastic fabrication projects.