'97 GTP -- Noise / Exhaust Questions

GP1138

So the last few days I've been hearing a lot of noise when I hit the supercharger, and also smelling an odd metal/burning smell when this happens. I added S/C oil as it was low, didn't fix it.

Today it was terrible, as in the smell was making me lightheaded. But I also noticed something as well. My exhaust has gotten louder, and in conjunction, the center console has heat radiating from it. My hypothesis is that the heat from the hole/crack in the exhaust is heating the center hump, causing melting of insulation in that area, hence the smell. But what could the noise be, and why would all of this happen at the same time? Could the noise be supercharger noise? And would you hear that in exhaust (I'm almost 99% sure the answer is NO).

But it is loud, so much that it vibrates my seat at lower RPM's and gives me a headache. I did look under it and see one of the hangers is off right by the CC.

Hmm. Time for straight pipe.

:nunzipalm

I hope you like the sound up wet farts. I mean this with no disrespect.. i too cut the cat off and went catless with everything else and my god did it sound bad.

:nunzipalm

I hope you like the sound up wet farts. I mean this with no disrespect.. i too cut the cat off and went catless with everything else and my god did it sound bad.

Not really. I have no cat or resonator with a stock muffler and it sounds fine to me. Only a little rasp when the motor is cold.

And John, yup...sounds like it's time to mod:thumbsup:

matt, i really thought the same thing. Now get out of your car and let a friend take it up the road and do a little wot run... i about puked but from inside the car it sounded Great.

I found out where the burning plastic smell was coming from. The center console insert just pops out on my car, and under it I found half the shit in my console fell down the little hole there and found this:

d4177ff1.jpg

I have no clue what the fuck it is, and it apparently has been down there awhile. I guess the exhaust is shitting out bad.

Oh that thing? Thats a Loopo. Can't you tell?:lol:

One sign of a clogged cat is if it glows red at night. Def would be hot enough to do some melting.

Even a new cat gets really f-ing hot.

Oh that thing? Thats a Loopo. Can't you tell?:lol:

One sign of a clogged cat is if it glows red at night. Def would be hot enough to do some melting.

Even a new cat gets really f-ing hot.

YES! We had this happen to one of our cars before, the damn thing would glow! It was kind of neat

I found out where the burning plastic smell was coming from. The center console insert just pops out on my car, and under it I found half the shit in my console fell down the little hole there and found this:

d4177ff1.jpg

I have no clue what the fuck it is, and it apparently has been down there awhile. I guess the exhaust is shitting out bad.

In case you need a new Loopo, http://www.amazon.com/Black-LooPo-Tension-Adjuster-2-pack/dp/B005FFZC76 ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

578ba5a2.jpg

Hole in the resonator, right under the back of the center console. Went to Lowe's and got a 12"x26" piece of thin metal, and 4 6" diameter worm clamps, and it's no longer making noise. I'm pleased besides the headache from lying on my back for an hour looking at the exhaust upside down and fighting with the clamps.

I'll have to do that myself.

Drove it down to school, 20 minute drive. It's SO nice to be able to hear my music now. Pissed me off, I fixed the noisy wheel bearing, and almost immediately the res started blaring. :bash:

I'll have to do that myself.

Drove it down to school, 20 minute drive. It's SO nice to be able to hear my music now. Pissed me off, I fixed the noisy wheel bearing, and almost immediately the res started blaring. :bash:

It's always something, eh?