• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White93z34

• BXX

• rich17

• jman093

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't help you with the measurements, but does it look like your idea of shortening them and threading more of the shaft would work?

I don't think it will work. namely the rod is is slightly thinner then the threaded area, it tapers out at the threads. I don't think I could run a die down it and get good threads. Next option will be to cut and weld it. Just need to figure out how much to cut out so I have a good range of adjustment and find someone who is good enough to weld these in a manner that will not fail.

as for poly bushings, I am not too interested in pushing out brand new rubber bushings, I may see if there is a easy solution that will work. if there is I may go that route.

What I'm saying is; they are brand new, I don't see too much reason to replace them.

Edit.. for some actual content. I have a line on a fellow that can shorten them for me. I am just waiting to get some bolt-hole to bolt-hole measurements so I know how much to get taken out.

Edited by White93z34

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck on the measurements? I'll be removing my rear subframe in the next couple of days, and would love to replace the rusty stamped laterals with tubular ones, too. You're keeping the transverse leaf spring too, right?

Do you think these could be the right ones?

Rock auto, twenty bucks each. And there's a cheaper one without a picture. They call them track arms, isn't that the same thing?

Mevotech track bar mk6402

Here's the picture of the trailing arms:, part number dorman 90551. They don't look different to you? I'm probably wrong, but my car has those two holes in about the same place on the top pictures. I'll call and make sure I'm wrong tomorrow.

post-3179-143689114577_thumb.jpg

post-3179-143689114583_thumb.jpg

post-3179-143689114587_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikedunbar

Mah main man Jarek got me the measurements, this would be bolt hole to bolt hole...

Front links: 22 3/8sin or 56.83cm

Rear links 23 3/4sin or 60.32cm

looks like the rear ones can be adjusted down far enough with no modifications, but will have limited inward adjustment, lots of outward adjustment. Fronts will require about 1.5in to be removed to fit proper and still have a wide range of adjustment.

at this point I think I will try just modifying the front ones to fit and see how the rear does. If I end up needing the adjustment space then I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Mah main man Jarek got me the measurements, this would be bolt hole to bolt hole...

Front links: 22 3/8sin or 56.83cm

Rear links 23 3/4sin or 60.32cm

looks like the rear ones can be adjusted down far enough with no modifications, but will have limited inward adjustment, lots of outward adjustment. Fronts will require about 1.5in to be removed to fit proper and still have a wide range of adjustment.

at this point I think I will try just modifying the front ones to fit and see how the rear does. If I end up needing the adjustment space then I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

BrianG is running stock 2nd gen links with no problems at all. The solid one shoulnt need anything to fit

BrianG has coil overs. I still have a leaf.

You CAN run the gen 2 links unmodified on a coil over car, you cannot on a leafspring car. That said, I don't know the length of gen2 forward links, I would assume it is longer though as they second gens have a slightly wider track width.

Regardless I got the front ones modified tonight. I'll throw a coat of paint on them tomorrow or so and post pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Got this knocked out yesterday. Gave the TGP a rear suspension overhaul. For those that wanna do it themselves. 4 REAR gen2 lateral links work great, and are like $24 brand new off rock auto. the front ones have to be shortened by 1.5 inches to work properly and have a good range of adjustment. The guy who cut and welded mine put a piece of 1/2in round stock inside the joint (fits nice and tight) and chamfered a 45* angle on the edges before welding them. I am confident that they will hold up great.

for reference I used RAYBESTOS Part # 5762115

104.JPG

108.JPG

but anyhow. here we go. and yes. you have to drop the rear subframe to get the old ones out, gas tank is in the way of the bolts coming out through the rear. I turned the rear bolts around so if i ever have to drop the links off again its not nearly as bad to do, pic of that shortly.

105.JPG

106.JPG

107.JPG

:psyduck: maybe that is why my car was impossible to align. I'd bet some tow truck driver once upon a time did that

109.JPG

110.JPG

old crap removed, new lateral links fit like a glove

111.JPG

112.JPG

116.JPG

117.JPG

I am so happy with how this worked out, will be doing this to the z34 100% for sure.

Edited by White93z34

Very nice work!

The front lat. links are the only ones that need to be cut and welded? You have a stock monoleaf in that car?

The advantage to doing this is huge. Great idea on turning the bolts around too.

Nice work Chris.

I know someone that can mod and weld those arms.....

*thinking*

Sent from my Motorola Dynatac 8000x using Tapatalk

I'd prefer to not sell them, namely as I am not doing the modificaition myself, and then there is the liability aspect of it. Don't want to risk landing myself or the fellow that does these for me in hot water should something go wrong, or be responsible for someone fucking up themselves/their car/others. I am confident in it, but... liabilities. So take the information and do with it what you will.

I COULD use the front bar, and modify it. But that would eliminate a point of adjustment, and they are more expensive brand new, now I know you like to use salvage ones, but I just don't have it in me to pull rusty ass ones off a rusty ass second gen and get them rehabed good enough to reuse.

Rear bar DOES adjust down far enough to work proper.