...Wet paint lines on the highway

Mel87

Well I was driving to my old work place to visit some old co workers and when I get there I get out and there are white paint specs all over the front of my car and windshield. Nothing I could do about it then cause it was dark and cold out. But tomorrow I want to get it off. Will it come of easily with hot soapy water with a microfiber towel? I don't want to scratch the paint.

You can try the hot soap and water. If not, Use blue cap oven cleaner. Forget the name, its namebrand though. Spray on and let sit for a bit. Would be great if you have a plastic scraper. As for the wheel wells, get some semi gloss black and paint.

Alright thanks. See it wasn't in my wheel wells so I assume someone riding in front of me... but I don't know if it makes a difference but I had just spray waxed the car last week and it is probably still on there, will it make it any easier with that on there for it to come off?

Alright thanks. See it wasn't in my wheel wells so I assume someone riding in front of me... but I don't know if it makes a difference but I had just spray waxed the car last week and it is probably still on there, will it make it any easier with that on there for it to come off?

It could, but if it is fresh, it will def make a difference on how it comes off. When it dries, its a bitch to get off.

I do spray on waxes every time I wash my car. I did it just last weekend but it had rained a lot and probably wore off a lot of it. I am going to try some hot soap water with a microfiber towel first, if that doesn't work I will try a clay bar. This really pisses me off...

You can try the hot soap and water. If not, Use blue cap oven cleaner. Forget the name, its namebrand though. Spray on and let sit for a bit. Would be great if you have a plastic scraper. As for the wheel wells, get some semi gloss black and paint.

Do this if you want to mess up your car.

Use a claybar with proper lube and it should take care of it. It may take a few passes in each section, but will work. Then make sure you rewax that area. Try Krud Kutter in the wheel wells and a stiff brush.

Clay bar and/or your wet fingernail.

oven cleaner? Really?

the dude does this for a living, Id run to the store to get this stuff if i got paint on a truck of mine now that he has said to try it. there is alot of Kinda weird tricks to doing stuff that you learn over the years when doing stiff for a living, Like a guy that fixes PS3's told me to not use thermal paste. said used tooth paste and vasoline. And it Runs Way better now.

Well I went out this morning with some scolding hot water with soap and it came off fairly easy, the hardest parts were getting it off the black trim around the wind shield. I went and bought a clay bar anyways cause I have never applied it before. I am so relieved..

Do this if you want to mess up your car.

Use a claybar with proper lube and it should take care of it. It may take a few passes in each section, but will work. Then make sure you rewax that area. Try Krud Kutter in the wheel wells and a stiff brush.

Really? Funny how it never messes up cars way moar expensive that I DETAIL everyday. Also FWIW blue cap over cleaner takes off painted pinstripes.

Edited by LuminaPower92

Really? Funny how it never messes up cars way moar expensive that I DETAIL everyday. Also FWIW blue cap over cleaner takes off painted pinstripes.

Wow I wouldn't let you go anywhere near any of my vehicles! I am a detailer too and I would never go and tell someone to use some oven cleaner that you don't know, tell them to use a scraper on their paint and then to paint their wheel wells???? All when it can be easily cleaned? You are basically telling this guy to damage his car for no reason.

Do you work for a dealer? Because I know a lot of dealerships produce this kind of work. They get payed for quantity not quality.

Mequier's Scratch X seems to do a pretty good job of removing the spots without destroying the clearcoat...I've used it several times on our black HHR.

Mequier's Scratch X seems to do a pretty good job of removing the spots without destroying the clearcoat...I've used it several times on our black HHR.

Oh, so it's not just my HHR that seems to pick up all the God damn road tar?!?!:lol:

I left my car parked about 20 feet away from the barn while it was being painted, and got paint dots all over it last year. I used mineral spirits on the plastic, and some polishing compound on the paint, and my fingernail for the tougher spots. All of it came off easy, just every once in awhile i find a spot that i missed.

That's right...my wife's black HHR picked up lots of WHITE pavement paint. :)

Oh, so it's not just my HHR that seems to pick up all the God damn road tar?!?!:lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions:thumbsup: I got lucky this time to where hot soapy water took it off. After I got it all off I bought Mothers clay bar and did the whole car, then ran over the whole car with Lucas Oil slick mist.

Yes, oven cleaner removes paint off of your car. I had really thick painted on pinstripes when I got my car ('02) and got the tip from a detailer. It worked flawlessly. Didn't damage the paint or clear coat at all. You can't just leave it sit on there forever and you"ll be good to go.

Wow I wouldn't let you go anywhere near any of my vehicles! I am a detailer too and I would never go and tell someone to use some oven cleaner that you don't know, tell them to use a scraper on their paint and then to paint their wheel wells???? All when it can be easily cleaned? You are basically telling this guy to damage his car for no reason.

Do you work for a dealer? Because I know a lot of dealerships produce this kind of work. They get payed for quantity not quality.

Can you read?

Not a fucking metal scraper, a plastic one. One that does not scratch the paint. Oven cleaner does NOT fuck up the paint on any car i have EVER cleaned, if you use the right one, the blue top. I dont know where you come off thinking your a better detailer. You ever see the cars i produce? No. You ever see my cars. No. Funny how every other detailer, and body shop use the same kind of trick. Wow i must be full of shit then.

Can you read?

Not a fucking metal scraper, a plastic one. One that does not scratch the paint. Oven cleaner does NOT fuck up the paint on any car i have EVER cleaned, if you use the right one, the blue top. I dont know where you come off thinking your a better detailer. You ever see the cars i produce? No. You ever see my cars. No. Funny how every other detailer, and body shop use the same kind of trick. Wow i must be full of shit then.

I sure can read and I read you giving him bad advice. I knew you were talking about a plastic scraper. A shitty towel will scratch the paint and so will a plastic scraper. The only way I would use one is if there was something on there that will not come off and you are buffing it anyway... I just don't know why you would go the harshest route possible when there are easier solutions.. Especially telling someone who does not know how to use it correctly.

You may detail a lot of cars, but that means nothing to me.

I sure can read and I read you giving him bad advice. I knew you were talking about a plastic scraper. A shitty towel will scratch the paint and so will a plastic scraper. The only way I would use one is if there was something on there that will not come off and you are buffing it anyway... I just don't know why you would go the harshest route possible when there are easier solutions.. Especially telling someone who does not know how to use it correctly.

You may detail a lot of cars, but that means nothing to me.

Who are you?