rack and pinion are bad, how much longer til...

Red Nightmare

Well the steering was kind of loose, I tightened up the bolts that hold the rack onto the car.

Well now it is making like a clicking/binding noise, I took it to midas, as they can do free inspections, and from what they said, the rack and pinion are binding. Quoted $850 for repair, yeah like I am going to spend THAT much on a car that is worth maybe $1,000

I had not heard this noise before but like I said the bolts were loose so the entire thing was shifting when I would turn the wheel at a standstill and made more noise than just binding, like something shifting.

Basically I have little clue how how long it has been bad like this. Maybe a while but as I said, the rack-shifting noise probably disguised the clicking bind noise.

So realistically, is this something that would likely let loose if I hit a good bump on the highway or at any time? The steering doesn't feel any different than before, same crappy, noisy, hard to move the wheel steering as always. it still steers smooth though, I don't feel like binding points.

I might just sell this car off anyways cause it has numerous problems and things are falling apart left and right, but that is for another thread...

I'd be skeptical. Very rarely have I ever heard a rack and pinion make noise. Impossible to say what it is without hearing it; it could be any number of things. In any case it's no reason to sell a car.

Yeah, whenever I have an automotive question, I go to Midas. They're worthless, they're morons, but they're free. The advice they give me is worth every dime I pay for it.

yeah the free part is the reason I had them look at it. the one I went to is walking distance of where I was going for a bit anyways so I figured why not.

Thing is I know grand prix (and apparently the Grand Am as well) are prone to steering problems.

So what if I was some rich sucker who would not think twice about dropping $800 on something like that and the problem was something else? THEN what?

Never go to Midas! Go to a normal mechanic. I dont understand people that go to corporate places like Midas, Pepboys, and autozone for auto service. They rip you off all the time and usually its a college kid with no experience working on your car. Go to a mechanic with a certificate hanging on his wall. The rack and pinion should cost you 350-500 maximum .

Do you have any other problems with steering. Do you feel safe? Is it just noise?

When My rack and pinion failed, my steering wheel would not return to its position when turned and I had little or no steering to the left, I was unable to avoid crashes, so I had to get it fixed.

This is what my car sounded like when it needed the rack bolts tightened. My normal 'tighten'er till she feels right' didnt work, and I busted my ass getting those rack bolts tightened. Once I did, the noise went away.

http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/mm432/dieslowlymf/?action=view&current=MVI_2054.mp4

http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/mm432/dieslowlymf/?action=view&current=MVI_2055.mp4

I also wouldnt write off all those corporate repair shops all the time. They have their place and I'll leave it at that.

Right now it is just the noise. NO notable binding in feel, the steering self-centers OK, and both directions are equal effort in turning (which isn't much effort but it doesn't steer "on a dime" just the "Assist")

Like I said I don't know how long it was like that cause the rack was loose so before in steering I could hear the thing clunking around and that would drown out the present noise of just like the unrhythmic click.

I still drive the car, but steering is one of those things that the mere thought of failure is scary. I thought of picking up one at a junk yard but then I wonder if it would be in any better shape. I wonder if it would really be necessary. I might just have to see how things play out.

update on this -

Of course the steering is noisy as hell like GP's always seem to be but the clicking isn't there much. Not sure it was just a fluke or what but it is not getting worse. Lubed the tie rod ends, that might have had something to do with it...