Body work guys step in

AL

Me being OCD about stupis stuff is making me really wanna get my rocker fixed... I went to a GM body shop to get a quote... They wanted 4k to replace my rocker... Yes, 4000 dollars to replace my rocker... There is some rust up near the fender... I dont think its rusted through but I could be wrong... However, I believe a frame pull could straighten it out... You tell me...

2011-07-25093306.jpg

2011-07-25121633.jpg

2011-07-25121639.jpg

2011-07-25121656.jpg

Cut out, weld in new. sand welts to make flat. tape off car. Scuff the new rocker, take cleaner to it. Paint it, clear it. wet sand it and buff it. Looks better then new!

I do not have the time to work on it... I work 60+ hours a week with a very small 1 car garage that the GP doesnt fit in... Im looking more at what is a cheaper way to fix it at a body shop (or if someone here wants to take it under there wing)

rocker panel $145.00

body work per hour 110.00

Paint, probably need 60.00

cutting, welding, sanding, scuffing, cleaning, tapeing off the car, painting, wet sanding, buffing = 12-15 hours.

so id say 1800 dollars is a fair guess.

Don't go to GM, go to an actual body shop.

My parents replaced both rockers (they were rusty) on there 02 GP, to a tune of about $2g. This was at the more expensive shop back where they live.

Clay center body shop, Clay Center, Ohio. His prices are VERY good.

I think my buddy just had both the rusted out rockers on his 00' GT replaced for under $500 parts included. it looks like you might have a bit more work considering how far in the damage goes to the sil plates and b pillar. I'd shop around.

rocker panel $145.00

body work per hour 110.00

Paint, probably need 60.00

cutting, welding, sanding, scuffing, cleaning, tapeing off the car, painting, wet sanding, buffing = 12-15 hours.

so id say 1800 dollars is a fair guess.

Damn!!!

W-body rates are so much better:

Nunzi-panel $0.00

body work per hour $1.10 (paid in beer & all dressed chips)

POR-15, Rust Remover, seam sealer, welding stuffs, gas tank straps $130.00

use a HAMMER peen it down below the "level surface." Go to Wal-Mart buy a can of spray paint and a can of BONDO brand body filler, some various grits of sand paper 80-180-600 and a sand block... and some skill. You definitely can make it look better, on the cheap. Since you only see it when opening the door anyhow.

when applying bondo you really need to get to the bare metal.

this can be done for under a hundred, perhaps under 50 bucks.

Edited by Oilpatch197

use a HAMMER peen it down below the "level surface." Go to Wal-Mart buy a can of spray paint and a can of BONDO brand body filler, some various grits of sand paper 80-180-600 and a sand block... and some skill. You definitely can make it look better, on the cheap. Since you only see it when opening the door anyhow.

His problem is, is he doesn't have the time to work on it.

I work 10-12 hour days, 7 days a week (2 jobs)... I would love to find time to do this, I have even considered tying a ratchet strap to the truck and pulling it out... I may take the rocker cover off and have a closer look... If I was able to work on cars in the parking lot I would work on it after work at night... But I cant, the garage doesnt have enough room for me to work on the side of the car either

You see it all the time, not just when opening the door... The whole rocker is dented in

4 grand sounds high, I agree with the others. Get yourself another estimate, or several estimates and ask lots of questions. I am a retired auto body appraiser, and I also do some body work. The right shop might be able to fix the existing rocker panel for you, if you ask. Cutting a rocker out of a car is alot of work, which means lots of labor hours. Once you get an estimate from a shop you like, read the estimate to see if there are any procedures you could do yourself to save some money. They might want to take out the seats, roll back the carpet, etc, to make the needed repairs. Those are things you can do yourself to save some money. I know you said that your time is tight, but when you read an estimate line by line you can see how quickly the labor adds up. Good luck!!