'92 5-speed clutch starter-interrupt/safety switch malfunction?

crazyd

I've got an intermittent problem where the starter won't crank, usually after the car has cooled down overnight. I have to keep twisting the key and eventually it'll go. Naturally I thought it was the starter, but even after replacing it twice, the second time with a later mini hi-torque starter from a '99, it still happens. Recently I've discovered that if I stomp the clutch pedal several times at the end of its travel while holding the ignition key in START, it will start, and I think this is the key to the solution. There's a switch down there that interrupts the starter unless the clutch is fully depressed, but there must also be a switch to interrupt the cruise control if it's slightly depressed, and I'm not sure if it's two separate switches or just one for both functions. I've been poking around in the service manual under the starter and clutch sections, but I can't find any info on this or where it is. Rockauto lists a "Clutch Pedal Position Switch" (p/n 14101266) that looks like this:

getimage.php?imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Finfo.rockauto.com%2FAirtex%2F1S5133.jpg&imagekey=946211-0&width=450

Doesn't look like it's adjustable, so I'll probably just need to replace it. Anyone else had this problem?

I am pretty sure there are two separate switches... In my 89, I could start it without having my foot on the clutch at all but the switch for the cruise had to be adjusted so cruise would work

The picture you have posted i am 99.9% sure that is the one that you clutch pedal engages when it hits the floor and there are 2 yellow wires coming out of it. This does sound like your problem as if it was the cruise cut I would imagine it would start w/o issues when it's against the floor but with you having to pound it a few times it makes sense.

the cruise control cutout is mounted under the dash near the top of the pedal...the pedal contacts it when your foot is off it and it is all the way up. it is kinda cylindrical and has brown wires

Got one on order, we'll see if that fixes it in a few days!

If it doesn't work you should just sell me your car...save you the headache:D

Looks like that fixed it, it's been several days of sitting and starting, and not once has it failed! Sorry Bake82, car won't be for sale :)

Glad it's fixed!! Not ever? LOL. I need to stop bugging all forum members with an LQ1/284 car to sell me their cars:lol::lol:

Can't imagine selling it after 7 years of restoration. I also just fixed the A/C by replacing a leaking low-side valve core and the accumulator, so a near-perfect, fully restored 20-year old LQ1 GTP 5-speed with HUD, DIC, AQ9s, louvers and ASC sunroof with working cruise and A/C... um, no, I think I'll hang on to it. :)

Can't imagine selling it after 7 years of restoration. I also just fixed the A/C by replacing a leaking low-side valve core and the accumulator, so a near-perfect, fully restored 20-year old LQ1 GTP 5-speed with HUD, DIC, AQ9s, louvers and ASC sunroof with working cruise and A/C... um, no, I think I'll hang on to it. :)

Fair enough! i don't think i'd sell it either! it might be the nicest GTP I've ever seen(Love the paint color!) anwyays glad you got it fixed!

Fair enough! i don't think i'd sell it either! it might be the nicest GTP I've ever seen(Love the paint color!) anwyays glad you got it fixed!

Thats gotta say something about the cars when nobody wants to sell!!