Injector going bad maybe??? Help please

92turboLE

ok, so recently the pree started acting up on me. It would seem like an injector is going bad. It holds the same charectoristics as if you were running out of gas. It only does it under WOT but the car will reach around 3500-4000 RPM (assuming, i dont have a tach) and it startes to kinda hesitate/sputter. What could this be? My brother (ASE certified) thinks it could be an injector that is going bad, either that or a Fuel Pressure Regulator. What do youthink, any help would be great, thanks.

- Justin

Those are all legal assumptions, but to find out you're gonna have to put them to the test.

Fading out injectors usually attain a "tick" like a lifter is going bad.

With no tach either and guessing the RPM's it could be possible that the Transmission Neutral switch also.

Test fuel pressure, injector resistance, the whole shaw-bang to narrow it down.

- Erik

getting to the testing point, i dont have the equipment and i spoke to my brother about it over the phone so i havent really had a chance to look too deeply into it... i dont hear/feel a ticking noise so i dont know about that. The only thing is it feels like it does when it is running out of gas, only at WOT though which is odd to me.... anyway, just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

thanks

- Justin

The only thing is it feels like it does when it is running out of gas, only at WOT though which is odd to me...

Could be as easy as a fuel filter or pump then.

Again, make sure to cover all ends and access from there.

- Erik

Yeah it sounds more like a Fuel Pump or Fuel Filter problem.

I doubt it is the Fuel Pressure Regulator, because they normally cause the opposite effect to happen. ie. the internal diaphragm ruptures and causes the engine to run way too RICH, not LEAN. In fact, I've never heard of a vacuum controlled FPR causing a lack of gas/pressure...

A lot of people forget the fact that Fuel Delivery is based on TWO things, not JUST Fuel Pressure, but Fuel FLOW as well! In fact, the only difference in pressure between Idle and WOT is only about "3-10 psi". Remember that the job of the FPR is to MAINTAIN a consistant Fuel Pressure regardless of throttle angle.

So, even if your Fuel Pressure was deemed to be "OK", it doesn't mean the Fuel Pump is supplying enough FLOW! Flow is usually measured in "gallons per hour".

Just a heads-up!:)

new fuel filter, and if you want try BG 44k fuel system cleaner. sounds cheesy but it fixed my stumbling problems. sure as hell is cheaper than an injector if it works. Also injectors rarely go bad they just get clogged up. So if that it tear down the engine and clean em up in tol cleaner or fuel cleaner.