Removing the steering wheel & Signal Switch

grandprix104

I need to replace the signal switch in my 94 GP. Can anyone post a detailed description of the process, including how the hell to rmove the steering wheel. I know ill need a puller but what do i pull on! :?

Thanks

how do you get to anything though? Does the airbag cover pop off or something? Or is there something to unbolt behind the wheel. I assume the cover comes off but i dont want the airbag blowing up in my face so i wanted to ask how to get at the innards to remove it.

c'mon guys sombody's got to have taken off the wheel on 94+ Prix. I need to do this befor i get pulled over. Shawns got a nice tutorial but i need to know how to remove the wheel.

Oh boy, here we go.

Pay attention, and maybe get some diagrams .

Disconnect the battery, you do not want to take any chances breaking your neck with the air bag. And pull the bag fuse too.

Put on some safety glasses and pull the four screws behind the wheel, star patterned screws.

CAREFULLY lift the bag out and disconnect the harness at the bag. POINT IT AWAY FROM YOUR FACE and carry it to a strorage place away from everybody, and where it will not be disturbed. Store it with the face up, so that if it goes off it will not rocket into the air, and do not store anything on top of it. Thats the sweaty part!!!

You will need a wheel puller, AND a commpressing tool to remove the spring under the wheel itself. Do NOT forget to replace this spring when it all goes back together.

Study everyhting very carefull and take notes or PICTURES to help you put it all back. And be patient with the wiring that goes down the wheel column.

You will also need to disconnect the harness for the swicth under the dash, get used to being upside down for this one. Recline the seat and put it back as far as it will go, and have someone there to hand you tools. It will get very tiring if you have to get in and out to fetch.

BE SURE THAT THE PIN CONFIGUATION ON THE HARNESS MATCH THE NEW ONE. DO NOT TAKE IT OUT OF THE STORE IF IT DOES NOT.

Have the old one with when you go, many places do not exchange electrical parts.

GOOD LUCK!!!

thanks that pretty much what i needed to know.

now the signal switch inside that likes to smoke when its wearing out. Is it a round device that fits around the column like a collar. or a box type devise that the signal arm is attached too?