Boring body line? Change to retro mid-sixties.

Dr.J.Hyde

A simple pinstripe in the right place can really change the appearance! I always thought GM should have given these cars that curve just behind the door, cause a straight body line is just too boring for me. I waited 17 years to paint this car, and I striped it the way I always wanted (not as easy as it might look). I also played with the headlights and painted the grill body color. The stripes match the lines of the grill. The headlights and side markers already have subtle built in lines that just happen to match already.post-5898-143689062937_thumb.jpg

post-5898-143689062943_thumb.jpg

post-5898-143689062946_thumb.jpg

post-5898-14368906295_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, I used to pinstripe and install moldings at dealerships in the early 90's. I never did see anyone attempt this, cause it's usually a sin to deviate from prominent body lines. But I gotta say, I think this is a home run! I hope you guys give it a try, it changes the whole look!

Looks great!

I had considered doing something similar, breaking the pinstripe about 3/4 down the door, with a "kick" up on the quarter panel, similar to the late 70's-early 80's Cutlass Supreme. I definitely want to do the kick up you did at the taillights. Looks much nicer than the "stop" mine make there.

The lines on this car are very deceptive, it looks simple but there's a little curve on the door from under the mirror. I tried so many variations that just looked like sh t! It took two hours to come to this.(and I'm pretty experienced in striping)

Yeah I know, but only 7 cars were produced like this, so the luggage rack stays, and there's no way the lip spoiler goes! I waited 17 years to do this, and yes, the plan was to remove the rack, or customize it, but when I finally got proof of how rare this care is, I just can't do it! It's a little busy back there, but I have a renewed love for this car! It never looked this good while I've had it. I guess when my dad picked it up, it looked awesome to him, but the lip spoiler hadn't been offered yet. When I got it(1994), I had seen some cars with it and knew that was what I'd do, the paint was already faded, and it didn't get me excited, but I loved it cause it was his favorite car ever, and he wanted me to have it. Now I love it, and it excites me(if I could have sex with it, I wouldn't need my wife! LOL).

i had the same car as you, but with gray interior and 5spd manual. yours looks very clean. i was stoked to ditch my luggage rack and put the lip setup on though

Yes, I had it off for years, with plugs, and intended to lose it. Recently I found out, what my dad told me about the car being rare, was true. Not that I thought he lied, I just thought his idea of rare was 1 of 20,000, so I didn't take it seriously. Now that I know it's 1 of 7, changes things. The very reason it's rare is he special ordered this cause no dealer anywhere had one yet. He called GM customer assistance, and was told thus far, no cars 1SC, two-tone med.red/platinum with red leather, luggage rack, and WITHOUT sunroof, were made, and he would have to find a dealer willing to order it for him. That wasn't easy, most just won't do it unless you know the owner or the manager in charge of ordering. Most dealers shy away from too many red cars, especially red leather. I'm sure he had to put a large non-refundable deposit!

• 2 weeks later...

That looks really nice... that little curve behind the door definitely makes a huge difference and looks a lot better than the ones I see around up here with the straight stripe down the side... and the fact that it's a 2 door makes it just that much better! lol

And (kinda off-topic. lol) only 7 of those had the luggage racks? I wonder how many Luminas they made in '93 with luggage racks? I'm thinking probably about 100,000... lol

edit: Just curious, how did you find proof of how rare your car is?

I am probably your polar opposite when it comes to auto styling! I was never a fan of muscle car (and modern day Dodge Charger) "hips", and I usually advocate removing as many stripes and moldings as possible to get the clean look. You must be my Bizarro World twin! :lol:

Are you sure only 7 had the spoiler rack? My car had it, I omitted it when my trunk got demolished. My 88 currently has it. I didn't think it was rare, I thought it was standard on all 88 and 89 Internationals?

who cares if if was rare to have a trunk rack??? rarity doesn't automatically means it is desirable or valuable..... it kills the look of the car, especially with the lip tails/spoiler getting added in the mix.....

who cares if if was rare to have a trunk rack??? rarity doesn't automatically means it is desirable or valuable..... it kills the look of the car, especially with the lip tails/spoiler getting added in the mix.....

x2 My 97 GTP has a RARE interior. SeaFoam Green. there were 448 made with green leather. i used to joke that the reason was, the workers were putting in sea foam green leather as an apirl fools day joke lol. My 97 was built in on april 1st 1997 and i used to say they all probably got fired lol

andrei is the only one lol

and i think he ment the options on his car are 1 of seven not the spoiler its self idk