Chevy Impala LS 2002 wheel bearing

Chevy2002

I have been told by my shop that wheel hub (on Driver side) needs to be changed and it would cost ~$700. My questions -

1. Is this reasonable?

2. Can I buy the parts from Advanced Auto Parts and is there someone who would install for me a charge the labor only?

BTW, I am in Metro Detroit area.

I thought that these were $200 parts.

That's $500 labour. I'm sure that you'll get better opinions than mine, but that really seems high to me.

I thought that these were $200 parts.

That's $500 labour. I'm sure that you'll get better opinions than mine, but that really seems high to me.

Shop charges are quite different....

Bearing Labor 1.2 @ $90/hr (average) $108

Bearing with average shop markup $450

Alignment, average cost $80

------------------------------------------------------

$638 plus tax and shop fees

:thumbsup:

BXX,

Dr. Phil, whom AJAM visits (less frequently since Chinese Matt helps nowadays), charges $60 an hour for labour and doesn't rape on the parts.

This is similar to all non-name shops. That's the difference.

I just wouldn't figure that you'd mark the parts up that much just because it's Firestone, even when I went to a place like Firestone here they did want that much.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/31621-wheel-bearing-impala-2002

I was giving a good example of shop labor.

Guess what, if Chinese Matt or someone else did the job, and fucked up something as simple as torquing the wheels (and yes, it happens a lot, even to Sr Techs) and the wheel comes off and totals your car, good luck getting them to replace the car asap and cover damages.

If a real shop did it, guess what, you get a car asap (rental) until your car can be completely repaired among other thimgs. We charge among with other shops big amounts not only cause of high overhead and cooperate wages, but due to the liability we have to absorb.

I dont like having people pay $500 for a brake job either, as I see aboot $20 of it, but it is what it is.

I was giving a good example of shop labor.

Guess what, if Chinese Matt or someone else did the job, and fucked up something as simple as torquing the wheels (and yes, it happens a lot, even to Sr Techs) and the wheel comes off and totals your car, good luck getting them to replace the car asap and cover damages.

If a real shop did it, guess what, you get a car asap (rental) until your car can be completely repaired among other thimgs. We charge among with other shops big amounts not only cause of high overhead and cooperate wages, but due to the liability we have to absorb.

I dont like having people pay $500 for a brake job either, as I see aboot $20 of it, but it is what it is.

BXX,

I'm not insulting your quote, it's just Dr. Phil has had his own legitimate garage for years, has several employees like 5-7 total, enough bays to work on 3 or more cars, and all of that. He wouldn't charge me anywhere close to $700.

To me there's three tiers:

1.) Dealership (most expense)

2.) Name brand shops (Canadian Tire, Firestone, Midas, Speedy, Wal-Mart) some are more car focused than others, or are geared more towards, exhaust emissions or tires versus tune-up, etc.

3.) Independant shops (Dr. Phil) would be an example of this.

4.) Do it yourself or with friends.

The key here is this.

#3 Using number three may actually qualify you for getting the best quality of work done. You just have to have a very good mechanic. Cars are often trial and error when something funky happens. But if you have the right independant shop mechanic, they'll fix it once and fix it right! Three could also be the worst of the trio. So . . . .get references. Not, I know a good guy who's opening up a shop, he has to be good with cars.

BTW - Chinese Matt, doesn't work with things that he's 100% confident on, and also doesn't charge a $60 shop rate. I only mentioned him because I wanted to make it very clear that I was NOT speaking about my experiences with Matt assisting me when providing a ballpark quote that I thought was fair.

EDIT: Chevy2002, I'm an hour west of Toronto. I believe that you pay your toll, pay your gas, have Dr. Phil work on your car, get something good to eat, pay your gas to go back there, and still be ahead of the game financially.

I'm not saying come to Canada to get this done. I'm saying find a good private mechanic. Aside from saving a few bucks, you'll be helpnig out local business.

Edited by Breakdown

The bearing itself is about 120 bucks for a good one... I just bought both fronts for my car for 180 bucks, Timken brand... That labor is insane and there is no need for an alignment... If I was closer I would do it for alot less!!

I have been told by my shop that wheel hub (on Driver side) needs to be changed and it would cost ~$700. My questions -

1. Is this reasonable?

2. Can I buy the parts from Advanced Auto Parts and is there someone who would install for me a charge the labor only?

BTW, I am in Metro Detroit area.

I know a guy in Farmington hills area that is a good mechanic that would probably charge you under $100 to install the part. PM me if you want me to get you his info.

BXX,

Dr. Phil, whom AJAM visits (less frequently since Chinese Matt helps nowadays), charges $60 an hour for labour and doesn't rape on the parts.

This is similar to all non-name shops. That's the difference.

I just wouldn't figure that you'd mark the parts up that much just because it's Firestone, even when I went to a place like Firestone here they did want that much.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/31621-wheel-bearing-impala-2002

Parts mark-up is where shops make their money unless they don't pay their techs shit. There are no reputable independent shops in this area that charge $60 an hour...it's much higher. My dad's shop maybe started out there, but they're over $80 now and that's lower than most...a lot of the dealers here are well over $100 an hour now. IDK why people (not saying you're one of them...I don't know) think shops shouldn't make any money. I would agree that $700 is too high, but this is a hard business and getting harder and harder to make money with the increase in technology needed to keep up. It costs a ton of money for scanners and equipment now. And the more technology in cars, the more it's going to cost to fix them (which obviously doesn't really apply in this case).

I know a guy in Farmington hills area that is a good mechanic that would probably charge you under $100 to install the part. PM me if you want me to get you his info.

Don? IIRC, he's managing the shop now, but at a different location, but would maybe do it on the side. He would have to do it at his house though (even me being a friend of his, when we talked about doing the front brakes on the Xterra, we had to do it at his house).

Don? IIRC, he's managing the shop now, but at a different location, but would maybe do it on the side. He would have to do it at his house though (even me being a friend of his, when we talked about doing the front brakes on the Xterra, we had to do it at his house).

....I was actually talking about a guy from a local board but Don would definitely be another option.

Parts mark-up is where shops make their money unless they don't pay their techs shit. There are no reputable independent shops in this area that charge $60 an hour...it's much higher. My dad's shop maybe started out there, but they're over $80 now and that's lower than most...a lot of the dealers here are well over $100 an hour now. IDK why people (not saying you're one of them...I don't know) think shops shouldn't make any money. I would agree that $700 is too high, but this is a hard business and getting harder and harder to make money with the increase in technology needed to keep up. It costs a ton of money for scanners and equipment now. And the more technology in cars, the more it's going to cost to fix them (which obviously doesn't really apply in this case).

I don't think that it's that he doesn't pay his tech's well. They probably aren't paid super-well, I just trust him and his people to do a good job. I'm sure that he'd have me at $400 or $350 for this job. If you can obtain the part for $120 yourself, this is still pretty good margins. I'm not saying that I'd get hit up with $120 for the part and $60 for one hour of super-fast labour. I'm thinking $200 part + 2 hours of labour, maybe it was $65/hr. I still think that his prices are where they are because they don't have a weekly flyer, they don't have corporate overlords to pay, etc.

I don't think that it's that he doesn't pay his tech's well. They probably aren't paid super-well, I just trust him and his people to do a good job. I'm sure that he'd have me at $400 or $350 for this job. If you can obtain the part for $120 yourself, this is still pretty good margins. I'm not saying that I'd get hit up with $120 for the part and $60 for one hour of super-fast labour. I'm thinking $200 part + 2 hours of labour, maybe it was $65/hr. I still think that his prices are where they are because they don't have a weekly flyer, they don't have corporate overlords to pay, etc.

It's different everywhere, too. I wasn't saying that it was the case with your guy, just speaking in generalities. I really don't know enough about that situation specifically. I agree w/ the overhead, too. My dad doesn't really have much, either. They don't advertise at all; it's all word-of-mouth, so that cuts down on that.

• 3 weeks later...
The bearing itself is about 120 bucks for a good one... I just bought both fronts for my car for 180 bucks, Timken brand... That labor is insane and there is no need for an alignment... If I was closer I would do it for alot less!!

+ !

Just did this on my Intrigue, along with a half-shaft axle, new struts. Labor was zero except for opportunity cost of being inside listening to kids or wife, but its not like rotating tires, you have to have the right tools and know something. Not as hard as putting on new struts or the axle, but it is pretty important bit to get right. :supaburn:

Perhaps Texas is cheaper than most but you could probably get this done all over Houston for about $400 at a real shop. No insult meant to the guy with the shop - you have costs to cover. I am amazed that techs earn over 70/hr I figured the shop took a lot of that and paid them like 45/hr.

At a good independent shop that job should NEVER run more than $500 bucks. $400 range is more like it.

My shop is at $99.94 an hour, unless the customer supplies their own part in which case it's $120 an hour. The bearing list price with markup would come in right around $225. Plus tax and shop supplies. 1.2 hours $119.93 + $225 for the part + supplies and tax you're looking right around $400.

+ !

Just did this on my Intrigue, along with a half-shaft axle, new struts. Labor was zero except for opportunity cost of being inside listening to kids or wife, but its not like rotating tires, you have to have the right tools and know something. Not as hard as putting on new struts or the axle, but it is pretty important bit to get right. :supaburn:

Perhaps Texas is cheaper than most but you could probably get this done all over Houston for about $400 at a real shop. No insult meant to the guy with the shop - you have costs to cover. I am amazed that techs earn over 70/hr I figured the shop took a lot of that and paid them like 45/hr.

From my experience, the highest paid tech is paid 1/4 of the hourly rate, thats from 3 different places I have worked

I get a flat rate pay also, but it's not a ton, $9.50 an hour if I believe. But if I can keep busy, and I usually can with our business, I can usually pull in more than $20/hr average. Slow weeks blow though.