new guy from new olreans.

jamesmetairie

Hi i,ve got a 1998 lumina. had it for about 8 years and put about 100,000 miles on it. had the usual=- LIM,etc.

currently fighting the passlock system= locked out. any advice will be appreciated.

changed the ignition cylinder (napa)and had a key cut at dealer two months ago. presently engine won,t crank.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find the answer to your issue here...it's just not going to be me because I don't have a clue on what you need to do. The forum members collectively know these cars inside and out and they're a great bunch.

You'll needs to bypass the VAT system. search google for vatslikeabigdog. There's a great writeup. It's very easy to do. I did it very quickly. I'd link you now, but I'm on my phone lol Oh, and welcome! :lol:

Hi i,ve got a 1998 lumina. had it for about 8 years and put about 100,000 miles on it. had the usual=- LIM,etc.

currently fighting the passlock system= locked out. any advice will be appreciated.

changed the ignition cylinder (napa)and had a key cut at dealer two months ago. presently engine won,t crank.

Welcome aboard!!

If the problem truly is the passlock system, and you're not a do-it-yourselfer (no that there's anything wrong with that), audio installation places (specifically those who deal in auto-starters) are the best place to go for help bypassing that stuff.

Also, I would consider the key suspect, I have a suspect one myself, and it doesn't always want to start the car, and the security light will come on infrequently while using it. Fortunately I have two others. I'm not sure if there's a way to test the key, but it's been known to happen.