Attn Gearhead (or anyone else that may know) DIC

supreme_style21

Ok I wired the early 90's DIC into my '94. Everything seems to work except for the fuel economy information. According to the wiring diagrams you had, the wiring harness I have does not have the STE 'Data Input' wires, obviously. Is this why I'm not getting fuel economy? I've used all the wires in the harness, so I'm out of ideas.

(The DIC I have is not the one in your pictures.. it has those huge buttons.. if that makes a difference)

On a side note, how do I reset the service information? And what does MISS OP mean? Any time I press the reset button, I get that MISS OP message. And compass calibration.. just press calibrate and drive in a circle?

Justin,

You have the LCD type DIC... that's why the buttons are larger.... The Fuel CK takes a while to set. It's automatic.. If you don't wire it into the fuel level wire right it will not work like it's supposed to.. You will get a MISS OP anytime you push the buttons in the WRONG sequence. I will need to give you the right directions on how to set the service intervals. I'll do that at a later time.. To set the compass you push Cal set button and CALIBRATE will show in the display... You then drive slowly in a circle without using the brakes untill the display changes to CAL SET. Then if you need to set NORTH, just point the front of the car to NORTH and push NORTH on the DIC.

Alright thanks Dave.

So this fuel level wire.. my '94 DIC harness should have that. I've hooked up all the wires I have available, but I still get 0 mpg. I had a 5 hour drive yesterday and nothing showed up, so it can't be the time factor. Is it just not going to work? I didn't think the older DIC's were compatable with the newer cars, just like the '96 DIC won't work in '94-'95.

(I just wanted it to turn on so it would look cool, but when I saw that some of the things functioned, I figured I could get it all to actually work)

And it doesn't seem to hold any settings when I turn off the ignition, so I'll have to try figure out which wire is causing that problem.

And it doesn't seem to hold any settings when I turn off the ignition, so I'll have to try figure out which wire is causing that problem.

Must be the Battery input A1- Orange or Orange/black wire wired in the wrong place. It should be going to the Elec Fuse (15 AMP), or a connection that is HOT AT ALL TIMES.

Ahhhhh...I see. You are using the 94 harness that's already on your car?...The 88-93 used the same # of pins and were labeled the same way...BUT that does not mean the pins are for the same function... Even with in the 88-93 GM would sometimes "swap" the pin functions around. As well as the wire colors.

You really need to get a 94-96 wiring diagram. And use it has a reference. I'm sure some one on here has one they can send you.. If not there's a couple of guys on ClubGP in the 88-96 GP section that I know have it.

You will not be able to get the fuel stuff to work.

94-96 don't output fuel consumption data the same way.

I put a DIC in my 94 Cutty and it wasn't getting fuel data.

I logged the data coming from the ALDL and discovered there is no fuel consumption data in the chatter at all. Chatter being the constant communication between all devices on the ALDL serial bus.

Without fuel consumption data in the chatter, you're SOL.

Alright.. Thanks Shawn and Dave.

I figured I wouldn't be able to get fuel data.. Hell.. all I wanted it to do was light up and look cool 8) Anything else after that is just a plus.

Now I gotta figure out where I want to mount it :?