ball joint removal and install

threepointone

the haynes manual is very bland on some things well most things really so if your going to change balljoints on a 1st gen this is how i did it

1.take tire off jack stands safty ...blah blah

2.losen the ball joint nut

3.remove the sway bar bracket bolts (2)i like to replace the bushings why not?

4.use a pickel fork to break the morse taper then remove the ball joint nut

5.i slid a block of wood in between the control arm to give me extra room to work

6. i used a grinder to take the heads off the rivets rather then drill them out

7.i prefer using an air hammer with chisel to break the rust bond between the balljoint and knuckle to remove the old ball joint

8.installation is basicly reverse removal i used moog balljoints

Good info!

I found on mine that after grinding the heads off, I had to use an air hammer with a punch to get the rivets out. Those effers were IN THERE.

Also be sure to check the 4 bolts that hold the replacement ball joint in periodically. I have had issues with them backing out, bending and even snapping.

I used a cold chisel after drilling looked hopeless:

Cold%20Chisel.jpg

Got all 4 on one side out in about 5 minutes. I think I followed it up with a pin punch to knock the rivets out of the knuckle.

But you're right. The haynes manual is sometimes a ripoff in that when you are doing a job you've never done before they are just like "Remove part x" or something like that and you are like WTF does it pull straight out, gotta twist it??? What tool should I be using?? I practice at the junkyard sometimes. :D