First Gen headers for Series 2/3 swaps

wickedbuick

*EDIT* The pics of the headers finished and on the car will be on page 3 if you are wanting a look at them :dance:

Longtime no internets lol I am getting a set of headers bent for my Regal and doing a few other things while i'm at it. I should have the headers ready to install by first week of March :dance: I haven't been on in a while so hope everyone is doing good :)

-Deia

Edited by wickedbuick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wickedbuick

• xtremerevolution

• BXX

• rich17

F headers on 1st gens with L67s:lol:

And dude, I dont know who or how you pissed people off at Dayton, but even with you being kinda quirky guy, glad to see ya:thumbsup:

Then again, we are all weirdos in our own way:lol::lol:

I would also like to know. Headers are one of the basic mods for an l67. When i do my swap I plan on just putting headers in at the time of the install. I see people bang up the firewall or cut and weld it but id much rather have something that just fits.

I would also like to know. Headers are one of the basic mods for an l67. When i do my swap I plan on just putting headers in at the time of the install. I see people bang up the firewall or cut and weld it but id much rather have something that just fits.

According to Miko K who ran the twincharged cutlass, you can bend the primaries slightly on the SLP headers. The SpeedDaddy headers are a LOT cheaper and are identical, so that might be the best route. That being said, they are not easy to bend, and Bob ended up using the 1st gen dogbones to tilt the engine back a couple degrees, and went to town on the firewall with an air hammer as well to make it all fit. No problems here.

Took more than my damn air hammer:lol: A 3" cutoff tool and a die grinder was required as well.

And I doubt anyone can really get the SpeedDaddy headers to bend much without fuxoring them up. I know, I tried:mad:

Took more than my damn air hammer:lol: A 3" cutoff tool and a die grinder was required as well.

And I doubt anyone can really get the SpeedDaddy headers to bend much without fuxoring them up. I know, I tried:mad:

Miko K managed to get his SLP headers bent somehow at the primaries. Not sure how, but apparently he did.

That being said, using 1st gen Regal dogbones to tilt the engine back every so slightly is a pretty good idea because it makes no difference at all. The actual angle change at the axles is negligible.

Remember Andrie, the dogbone brackets are mounted slightly different on the core support to give us the correct angle for the fitment on your car.

Not to mention I had to cut, grind, and clearance the throttle/cruise cable bracket at the TB as well.

Im guessing if someone can find a exhaust shop thats willing to tweak the headers that can work. Nobody around me would touch them in fear of damaging them, plus your still guessing how far to bend them down and you would also have to address the crossover tube as well by cutting it and prolly welding on a good flex at a slightly different angle.

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting Milzy to make custom ones and he can make more after the first set is done for anyone else that wants a set. I should have them by mid March :thumbsup: Oh and I got the electric selonoid/butterfly for my cutout and it is SO sweet! no more jacking the car up and removing the plate just to open her up lol

Edited by wickedbuick

I am getting Milzy to make custom ones and he can make more after the first set is done for anyone else that wants a set. I should have them by mid March :thumbsup: Oh and I got the electric seloniod/butterfly for my cutout and it is SO sweet! no more jacking the car up and removing the plate just to open her up lol

Wasn't he going to charge you like $700-$800 for those?

yeah its ok though I wanted to get a pair that would fit with no mods and I like having custom work done anyway :) Still pondering 1 3/4in primarys as I will be doing head work this summer or next spring and some other work. For now I just have the S1x cam, 42.5lbs injectors and 3.4" and 3.0" pulleys for power upgrades.

yeah its ok though I wanted to get a pair that would fit with no mods and I like having custom work done anyway :) Still pondering 1 3/4in primarys as I will be doing head work this summer or next spring and some other work. For now I just have the S1x cam, 42.5lbs injectors and 3.4" and 3.0" pulleys for power upgrades.

But what would be the difference from sending in a set of SD headers to have the primaries tweaked and the downpipe re-welded for half the price than getting all new headers made? That's half the price of a stage 1 intercooler...

SAAC headers are SLP knockoffs, and SpeedDaddy headers ($205 shipped) are knockoffs of SAAC headers, and look identical to SLP headers. Here's what Miko K did with SLP headers, which made them fit perfectly in a 1st gen. These are his exact headers. He reversed the downpipe with the flex pipe and had the primaries bent to clear the firewall. No other modifications. If he can run a twincharged cutlass with a large turbo and an M112, I'm thinking they would be fine.

STP60231.jpg

Edited by xtremerevolution

• 1 month later...

Had some delays at the shop but will have some pics in a few weeks on the headers. I am not concerned with the price. I paid in full and just want a set of ready made headers that I don't have to mod or mod the car to make work. Once the first set is made it will help anyone with a first gen that wants a bolt on they can just pay for and install :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Ok sorry I had these pics for a few weeks now. I need to go pickup the headers from the shop, just haven't had the time lol They've been ceramic coated since these pics. These were taken before they were completely done.

2mxrim8.jpg

ea1se8.jpg

1181wso.jpg

2qimn20.jpg

2nusrxg.jpg

These will fit with no mods at all to the firewall, suspension, heatshields, dogbones, or fans. There is about 2-3in of clearance from the fans. It will fit in a completely stock 1st gen car with an L67/L32 and 4T65 transmission. I will get more pics when I get them and pics of them installed. :thumbsup:

Oh and sorry I disappeared for a while lol I got sick with strep throat and had lots going on around the house. Then had my 2 yr wedding anniversary on May23rd so was out of town for a week and now our baby will be here mid June! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh and sorry I disappeared for a while lol I got sick with strep throat and had lots going on around the house. Then had my 2 yr wedding anniversary on May23rd so was out of town for a week and now our baby will be here mid June! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sweet! I had been wondering where you were. Congrats on the little one!

So anyone that might be interested in a set can contact Mike for prices. He is looking to do a group buy for them but will do a one off set it will just cost more that way. He has a front end mockup and can make the set without your car in house. Just tell him your powertrain setup and he can put it in the mockup and build away!

His site is http://www.milzymotorsports.com/ and his email is MikeM@milzymotorsports.com

The primaries are 1 5/8in I don't remember the crossover though. I'll get that info and post it up for you when I get them or if I can call him after the holiday.

Early W-body header pre-orders - $849.99

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was quoted by my welder around $1000 with polished thickwall stainless all TIG welded with downpipe.